VMware Communities
nstruman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 12 Player - No 3D support is available from the host

Hi,

I am trying to user a Linux Mint guest on Windows Server Host (64bit DirectX11) with Windows 12 Player. All freshly installed.

I'm getting the message 'No 3D support is available from the host'

There is a thread discussing this issue, which advised editing the .vmx file. There is no .vmx file on the server, the closest being .vxmf file, but there are no config lines such as those listed in the original thread.

Workstation 12 Pro: No 3D support is available from the host. The 3D features of the virtual machine...

Could anyone clear this up please, 3d accelaration works fine on Vbox with a Mint host.

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you have no .vmx file then you do not have a virtual machine as it is the main configuration file that makes up your virtual machine.

So I suggest to look again, in the folder of your virtual machine.

Note that you have to shut down -not suspend- your virtual machine before editing it.

It is also recommended to not have VMware Player running when editing this file.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you have no .vmx file then you do not have a virtual machine as it is the main configuration file that makes up your virtual machine.

So I suggest to look again, in the folder of your virtual machine.

Note that you have to shut down -not suspend- your virtual machine before editing it.

It is also recommended to not have VMware Player running when editing this file.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
nstruman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah yes, you're entirely right. Thanks for the reply.

I had some tunnel vision going on and was looking at the file Type, didn't have the actual file extensions shown. As the .vmxf extension was showing (not a known file type), I guess I just completely overlooked the hidden extensions.

I made the changes, which hasn't resolved the issue, but maybe there's some driver/firmware issues I need to look at.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's OK, happens to the best of us.

I certainly recognize it Smiley Happy

If you can't get this resolved then some of us down here can try to help out, but we would need more info about the hardware used.

Having a vmware.log file would then also help.

--

Wil

0 Kudos