VMware Horizon Community
TTC-Seth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New to app vol - questions

So, have they completely removed the "Profile Only" template?  I'm not wild about users being able to install their own applications as that's usually what leads to them breaking their desktops.

I also have UEM in place but I'm thinking that having the writeable volume is interfering with UEM being able to fully capture the various app settings and restore them if need be.

Any recommended "best practices" with doing that?

And can I use mandatory profiles with writeable volumes or will that make a mess?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes they removed the profile only writable volume. You know only have the UIA + Profile or UIA only. (UIA = User Installed Applications).

I would not suggest using a mandatory profile with writable volumes. If have no idea if it will work but as per Appvolumes recomendations you need to have a local profile. The profile is being loaded the moment the writable is being attached.

We also tested a profile management solution besides UEM and for as far as I can see you can use both of them together. Only thing is that your best use case for this is cross platform sync of user settings, VDI, Notebook and Desktop for example. If you have an all VDI setup I don't see the added value of using borh writable with profile and UEM.

0 Kudos