VMware Cloud Community
rvieira
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDP and VR cross vCenters

Hi,

So we have 2 vCenters one in our Branch Office the other in our Main.  The Main office has vCenter 6 while the Branch has vCenter 5.5 (do to Hardware Compat with 6.0 esxi). I am wondering if I would be able to run VMware Replication between these two vCenters? Yes I know i need to ensure Hardware Compat stays at 9 and ensure all other compatibility are monitored too. Will VR work between different  versions VR ver6 - VR ves 5? Also will VDP replicate across versions also or do both need to be same version which means same version vCenter?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As far as I know, vR versions need to be the same across sites to be paired.

5.5 and 6 VC supports a set of own vR version.

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

VDP, for 5.5 and 6.0 VC, you can have 6.1.3 deployed and then have backups replicated across them.

Does not matter the vCenter difference for VDP.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As far as I know, vR versions need to be the same across sites to be paired.

5.5 and 6 VC supports a set of own vR version.

VDP, for 5.5 and 6.0 VC, you can have 6.1.3 deployed and then have backups replicated across them.

Does not matter the vCenter difference for VDP.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, vSphere Replication (VR) versions need to be the same. VR version is tied to vCenter version. You could upgrade vCenter 5.5 to 6.0. You do not have to upgrade ESXi hosts - vCenter 6.0 can manage ESXi 5.5 hosts.

rvieira
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks guys I was pretty sure these were the case. I am debating on upgrading vCenter but uncertain as of know. Will be looking at other products as we originally used VDP and VR cause they came with our license. Thanks for the information to confirm my thoughts, love this community.

0 Kudos