VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Moving VMs between protection groups

I have a recovery plan that includes VMs from multiple protection groups and defines their startup order.  Each protection group has its own datastore.  So when I storage vmotion a VM between datastores, it also changes protection groups.  If I storage vmotion a VM between datastores, do I need to update anything in my recovery plan?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You would need to unprotect the VM in the first PG and then reprotect it in the new one. You would need to reconfigure the start order for that VM as well.

To avoid this you could look at using array consistency groups (multiple datastores that are replicated together). If you were using these that would allow you to svMotion VMs between datastores that are part of the consistency group without disrupting SRM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You would need to unprotect the VM in the first PG and then reprotect it in the new one. You would need to reconfigure the start order for that VM as well.

To avoid this you could look at using array consistency groups (multiple datastores that are replicated together). If you were using these that would allow you to svMotion VMs between datastores that are part of the consistency group without disrupting SRM.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

gs_khalsa , thanks again. My array doesn't support consistency groups.  So then things like SDRS and automatic space balancing really need to be turned off if my array doesn't support consistency groups?

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

SRM 6.0 does integrate with SDRS (see: SRM 6 and vSphere 6 Storage DRS (SDRS) Improvements for Array Based Replication – BenMeadowcroft.com )

If your array doesn't support CGs (that seems strange, what array is that if you don't mind sharing?) then the above feature won't be that helpful and you're right, you probably just turn off SRDS.

0 Kudos