VMware Cloud Community
pjfrutuoso
Contributor
Contributor

SRM and Veritas Backup Exec - MS Exchange Backup

Hi,

I'm using SRM to sync my VM virtual servers (with VSS as quiescing method).

One of these servers is a Microsft Exchange Server, and I'm using Veritas Backup Exec 16 to backup the Exchange database.

My BE scheduled jobs are: Full Backup on Saturday and Differential Backups from Sunday to Friday.

My Full Backup runs ok, but my Differential backups are failing with the message that the last full backup of the Exchange was not created by the Backup Exec Agent for MS Exchange.

This error appears everytime the VM is synchronized between the Full Backup and the Differential backup.
If I pause the synchronization and run a Full Backup (through Veritas Backup Exec) and differential backups, after the full backup, everything is fine.

After contacting the Veritas support, and because the issue is related (we think) with the VSS, the 2 options they gave me was:

1) Sync the VM on a weekly basis (before the Full backup runs)

2) Run a Full Backup on a daily basis

These options are not to my liking. If I use option 1) and if I have to run the disaster plan, my Exchange server on the Recovery Site will not be up to date. If I use option 2)... well... my Exchange DB size is 300GB... Full backups every day, with (at least) 2 months of history...

Are this the only solutions? Is it possible to run SRM Sync and Backup Exec withou conflict?

On the VMware Tools there is a "volume shadow copy services support" option. If I install this option can it solve my problem?

I'll appreciate your help.

Sorry for some bad english.

Best regards,

Pedro

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pjfrutuoso
Contributor
Contributor

Hello?? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos