2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2018 10:56 AM by GaborRacz

Vmware server 2 installation on Debian 8 (Jessie) problem with vmci

Kordian Lurker

Hello,

I try to install the vmware server 2 on Debian 8 (Jessie) and right at the start I get the following error:

The following VMware kernel modules have been found on your system that were
      not installed by the VMware Installer.  Please remove them then run this
      installer again.
      vmci
      I.e. - 'rm /lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/misc/<ModuleName>.{o,ko}'
      Execution aborted.

I found many patches on the net, but none of these refers to the problem with vmci. More to that, there is no misc folder inside the directory specified.

I would appreciate any help with it.

Thank you in avdance!

• 1. Re: Vmware server 2 installation on Debian 8 (Jessie) problem with vmci
          Kordian Lurker

ok, latest on the problem: I have found some ways to start the installation. Got to the point, where the smp_lock.h file cannot be found during the compilation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the code:

Building the vmmon module.

make: Entering directory '/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only'
          Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
          make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
          make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64'
          make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64'
            CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driverLog.o
          In file included from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/vm_assert.h:45:0,
                           from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driverLog.h:33,
                           from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driverLog.c:31:
          /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/vm_basic_types.h:108:7: warning: "__FreeBSD__" is not defined [-Wundef]
          #elif __FreeBSD__
                 ^
            CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
          In file included from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:31:0:
          /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:78:13: error: conflicting types for âpoll_initwaitâ
          extern void poll_initwait(compat_poll_wqueues *);
                       ^
          In file included from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:24:0,
                           from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:31:
          /usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common/include/linux/poll.h:95:13: note: previous declaration of âpoll_initwaitâ was here
          extern void poll_initwait(struct poll_wqueues *pwq);
                       ^
          /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:39:28: fatal error: linux/smp_lock.h: No such file or directory
          #include <linux/smp_lock.h>
                                      ^
          compilation terminated.
          /usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common/scripts/Makefile.build:262: recipe for target '/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o' failed
          make[4]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
          /usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-4-common/Makefile:1353: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only' failed
          make[3]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only] Error 2
          Makefile:181: recipe for target 'sub-make' failed
          make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
          Makefile:8: recipe for target 'all' failed
          make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
          make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64'
          Makefile:101: recipe for target 'vmmon.ko' failed
          make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
          make: Leaving directory '/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only'
          Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
          visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/go/unsup-linux-products" and
          "http://www.vmware.com/go/unsup-linux-tools".

Execution aborted.

Thank you in advance!

• 2. Re: Vmware server 2 installation on Debian 8 (Jessie) problem with vmci
            GaborRacz Lurker

Hello Kordian,

I'm playing with the same but on Debian 9.

The missing smp_lock.h is the smaller problem.

Basicly just create the file with a //comment line inside and thats all.

If you check the complete stack trace you will see other issues as well.

And thats the point where i'm stucked.

I will bookmark this thread now, and expect my return if i found something useful.

Best Regards,

/Gabor