VMware Communities
virtualpboy
Contributor
Contributor

macOS 10.12.4 -- black/blank screen

Since updating to macOS 10.12.4, most of the VMs in VMWare Fusion 8.5.5 start/resume with black/blank screen. I can SSH into the VM and they seem functional, but nothing is rendering in most of these VMs.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

What if the VM reboots?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
virtualpboy
Contributor
Contributor

I've updated to 8.5.6 that was released today and force restarted all the VMs. Except for one Windows Server 2012 VM, all other VMs (Windows 10, Centos) show black/blank screen.

0 Kudos
virtualpboy
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 VM started working again but it blanks out every minute or two and is extremely slow.

Centos Linux VMs are no show with totally black screen. I can SSH into them, however.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Weird... Could you post your .tgz from Help  >Collect Support Information? (Click the tool only after the issue just starts happening if possible)

-
0 Kudos
virtualpboy
Contributor
Contributor

Where should I email the support file (252 MB)? I've tried Get Support page to open a ticket but my product (registered VMware Fusion Professional 8.5.6) is not listed for getting technical support.

0 Kudos
virtualpboy
Contributor
Contributor

I found some additional information.

It seems the problem is isolated to MacBook Pro with Touch Bar running 10.12.4 and VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Interesting... I have the 13", so I'll give things a shot.

-
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dropbox link works if you have access to that

-
0 Kudos
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

Which version of Fusion, 8.5.5 or 8.5.6?

I just tried Fusion 8.5.6 with macOS 10.12.4 and had no blank screen issue on my 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar.

If you tested with a version of Fusion prior to 8.5.6, can you try 8.5.6 and see if it resolves the problem? I'm hesitant to update my working partition to 10.12.4 until I'm sure Fusion works OK on my MacBook Pro 15 with touch bar.

Perhaps a VMWare person can chime in here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
virtualpboy
Contributor
Contributor

I am running Fusion 8.5.6. The problem happens with command line based VM, such as Centos with macOS Sierra 10.2.4. I have 2016 MacBook Pro 15" with 512GB.

0 Kudos
JDMOB
Contributor
Contributor

Additional data point -- I too am seeing the same behavior.    MBP 2016 15" touchbar.

Fusion 8.5.5 and 8.5.6 / macOS 10.12.4.

0 Kudos
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

Just updated MBP 2015 15" with touchbar from 10.12.3 to 10.12.4. Using Fusion 8.5.6 with a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. No video issues.

0 Kudos
solomyster
Contributor
Contributor

I have the  same problem, do you have connect expand display? if you connect expand display then the vm display normal.

But I haven't found a solution yet.

0 Kudos
relajao
Contributor
Contributor

The same problem.... Only work windows machine, but other machine based in linux, no work. Black Screen

0 Kudos
JDMOB
Contributor
Contributor

For me at least, reproducing the issue is simple.   Create a VM -- a quick example is one of type MSDOS.   Boot it -- no video, including BIOs.      I was not able to reproduce the suggested workaround of using a remote display.   But then I normally only use airplay as a 2nd display so this isn't altogether surprising.    However, I did find another workaround - go into power settings and disable automatic graphics switching.    Can someone try this and confirm?

relajao
Contributor
Contributor

My macbook is 13'' not have option disable automatic graphics switching

0 Kudos
JDMOB
Contributor
Contributor

Correct.   The workaround would only apply to MBP models which contain dual GPUs (Intel HD and AMD Radeon).    It is not a solution in itself, only an attempt to narrow focus to root cause.

0 Kudos
relajao
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I must seek an alternative. I'm going to evaluate which of the other two tools works best for me.

0 Kudos