VMware Communities
mfelker
Expert
Expert

VMware Tools Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty) VM

No problem here but I just thought I'd share experiences installing an ubuntu-GNOME 17.04 (Zesty) VM.

VMware WS Pro 12.5.4

Host - Windows Server 2016 Standard Evaluation

ubuntu GNOME 17.04 Beta2 installed fine using Easy Install.

Updated kernel to the latest linux-image-4.11.0-041100rc4-generic_4.11.0-041100rc4.201703261831

Then I wanted to install the latest version of VMware Tools.     I needed to uninstall open-vm-tools which had been automatically installed by the ubuntu installer.   But when I ran

vmware-install.pl I ran into something I never encountered before - the installer wanted the program ifconfig.   I was surprised that wasn't installed automatically but apparently the Gnome developers thought it should be deprecated.   So I needed to install the net-tools package.   Interesting this is not a problem in ubuntu MATE which I've also installed (although it had installed open-vm-tools).

Immediately after installing tools my HP-Envy 7640 printer was automatically detected and installed by Gnome.

All features of vmware tools seem to work at least timesync, shrinkonly and drag and drop.

A  pleasant experience all in all.   As a long time complainer about VMware WS I have to say that the 12.5 build are reallty good and I feel I've gotten my money's worth since I've ulpgraded WS from version 1 almost 20 years ago.   I use it quite successfully on openSUSE Leap 42.3 as well.

Now if it would compile on kernel 4.11 ....

0 Kudos
0 Replies