VMware Communities
jackerbes
Contributor
Contributor

[Solved} Mint Linux - vmware thinks it is still installed, cannot reinstall

I installed workstation 12.5 to a laptop running Mint Linux 18.1 Sarah 64-bit and then uninstalled it by right clicking the three resulting icons and taking the Uninstall option from the Mint Cinnamon Menu system.  I was unaware of the process for using the *.bundle file from the terminal to do an uninstall at that time.

The reason for the uninstall was that the first install would not run, I had found and run an apt-get update, and that has made massive additions and changes to the install.  So I thought uninstalling and reinstalling workstation might get it working.

Now I want to install it again, using the sh command and the bundle file, and when I try to do that it reports that it is still installed even though it was uninstalled from Mint and the folders it was installed in have been deleted.

So something somewhere is tricking the vmware install process into thinking I still have Workstation 12.5 installed.  Is there some way to clear that mistaken impression?

Jack

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jackerbes
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I figured it out from the info on this Workstation 10 page:

VMware Workstation 10 Documentation Center

I issued the following command as root from the terminal and it uninstalled everything: 

"# vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation"

Jack

0 Kudos