VMware Communities
johnnyt29
Contributor
Contributor

Intel NUC blue screens when running 2 vm's

I have an Intel NUC5i5MYHE with vPro and 16 GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro SSD that blues screens when I run 2 vm's. It's fine with one and I've tried this with just the vmware player 12.5.3 as well as the full install of workstation pro (I'm about a week into the trial). I'm into my 8th or 9th try to make this work over a period of about 8 months.

One vm is a linux-type .ova (officially shown as 'Other") that's a Sonicwall Analyzer 7.2 appliance from the vendor, which Workstation Pro 12.5.4 indicated was a v7-8 appliance needing 8 GB RAM (I set it to 10GB), and the other one is a Windows 7 Pro that needs 2GB and was a v10 vm. I've run the linux appliance for several months by itself so it's not a problem on its own.

The host can run both for between about 18 hours and 4-6 days before it blue screens. For my latest attempt at making this work I asked workstation pro to upgrade the linux appliance to v10 (I tried v12 but it doesn't work and Sonicwall indicates v10 as the newest supported VM version) and to upgrade the Windows Vm to the latest version. It ran both for about 3 1/2 days before crashing.

Before the latest attempt I upgrade to the latest (~2 weeks ago) BIOS, chipset, and drivers (a network driver update readme did refer to some fixes related virtualization so I was hoping maybe this was it...)

Has anyone used VMware 12 with a NUC? running more than one VM? Are there known issues in general or with running more than one VM?

Would Workstation Pro give me any advantage of the Player? I don't mind paying for Pro but does it buy me anything? I know I would get 30 days of support but would support even help with this?

0 Kudos
0 Replies