VMware Communities
RonSauve
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion not working, windows cannot be activated, and unable to load any Windows programs on my MacBook Pro

I have a few issues:

I have a MacBook Pro 2016

FIRST ISSUE:

I bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro, installed a Bpptcamp partition and the Windows 10 Pro and activated it. But that required me to either boot Windows or boot Mac, but I was unable to use both at the same time.

So I got a trial copy of VMware Fusion, installed it, pulled Bootcamp into it, installed VMware tools, restarted Windows, but although you say that this way, I do not have to reactivate Windows, Windows still insists that they cannot activate my copy of Windows 10 Pro, as it was installed on another machine. 

SECOND ISSUE:

I am completely unable to install any Windows applications. even though I have Windows 10 Pro running in Unity mode, every time I try to install a Windows program, it says I cannot do so on a Mac.

I was hoping that VMware Fusion would work well, but thus far, it is not working at all. it is completely useless in its present setting. Please help asap!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi RonSauve ,

Did you try to boot to the native boot camp. Could you try to delete your boot camp VM re-run it via Fusion?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Regarding Issue #1, this is expected, to a degree. Windows will detect it is running on new hardware because it is running on virtual hardware instead of the Mac's physical hardware. However, once you install VMware Tools, Windows would ask about re-activating, and upon activating it should not ask again because of what we do with VMware Tools in saving the activation information.

As for the second issue... Could you be a little more specific? How are you trying to install a Windows app and what errors are you seeing when trying to do this?

Installing A Windows app in Windows should be the same as on a physical computer. Use Edge or whatever browser in the VM, download your app (within Windows), double-click it (within Windows), run through the installer, then find it on the Start menu when you're done. What part of that process is breaking down in your case?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
RonSauve
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed, uninstalled, and re-installed VMware tools to no effect. None of the results you describe have occurred. It is still saying I need to activate Windows, but when I try, it says I can't because I already activated it on another machine.

I am trying to install my Windows application from a CD with my SuperDrive. But it tells me I cannot install it on a Mac, even though I have Windows running via VMware. This Windows application is only available on the CD. I had no trouble when I installed it previously using a trial copy of Crossover. But of course when I removed Crossover, it also removed that Windows application.

Ronald Sauve

264 Hanscom Road

Eliot, Maine 03903

207-475-6652 cell

207-438-9035 Cindy

ronandcindysauve@yahoo.com

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

"I am trying to install my Windows application from a CD with my SuperDrive. But it tells me I cannot install it on a Mac, even though I have Windows running via VMware."

Dumb question, but I assume you have attached that SuperDrive to the Windows VM as it's CD-ROM drive?  And that you have your mouse/cursor inside the Windows VM, browsing to the CD inside Windows, and running Setup from there?

0 Kudos