VMware Communities
kmatteaton
Contributor
Contributor

Restored snapshot still shows newly installed program

I installed Visual Studio 2017 this week on a Windows 7 64 bit VM using 12.5.2. It messed some things up in older Visual Studio environments so I restored a snapshot from earlier in the week. After restoring the snapshot (and verifying that is what I am using with Snapshot manager), Visual Studio 2017 is STILL installed! I then restored to a snapshot from last week. It is STILL there! Shouldn't I see the total state of the machine at that time, when it did not have Visual Studio 2017 installed?

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How did you restore the Snapshot? Going to a previous snapshot will restore the snapshot's state.

The Delete function merges current changes to it's base disk, i.e. will preserve the current state.

André

WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had the same situation three years ago.

Back then, I suggested to add a Snapshot Restored confirmation dialog.

Nothing happened yet.

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos
kmatteaton
Contributor
Contributor

Initially I just restored the most recent snapshot. When the restored snapshot showed Visual Studio still installed, I tried restoring the snapshot before that. Then I deleted the (originally) oldest snapshot. Nothing works. I've gone back a full month of snapshots now, my VM is ruined.

0 Kudos
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

we need to see the vmware.log for the session where you did the revert to snapshot operation, plus a full listing of the VM's home directory (on the host).

0 Kudos