VMware Horizon Community
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Average login times with Appstacks 2.12 Win7

Good morning,

I was curious to get some feedback on peoples login time when you have appstacks attached opposed to when you don't. Windows 7 is my gold image, when I don't have any appstacks attached, I can get to a desktop in about 7 seconds, when I have appstacks attached, it easily adds 10+ seconds to the login time. I'm curious to see if this is the norm, for login times.

Thank you,

Mike

5 Replies
ParthG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get around 13-14 sec without app stack attachment and with attachment of 1 app stack about 3 sec extra, every app stack i attach to VM adds about 3-4 sec login time.

Using N drive no persona or UEM

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for your feedback ParthG.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From what I've found is that it is pretty heavily dependent on what is in the appstack.  If I have a stack that just has Adobe Reader, Java and Flash it will probably take about 3-4 seconds.  If I have a stack that has all of the System Administration consoles that our users use it can take 15-20 seconds for the appstack to mount and finish processing.  Note that these are two different things, the actual stack is mounted in about 1 second, but it takes time for app volumes to process the merge of the stack with the OS. 

If anyone has any suggestions that could make the processing of a stack more efficient let me know though.

AWordPlease
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried assigning AppStacks to computers instead of users? This is supposed to decrease login times because applications are allocated and initialized during system boot, not user login.

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That would be a great idea. I'm currently using instant clones, and i have to assign the app stack to an already provisioned machine(which isn't ideal). Once it's done, and the machine is trashed, I noticed that in app vol manager, it was showing orphaned next to a machine after it was refreshed. Is there a way around this doing it the way you're suggesting?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos