VMware Cloud Community
Poestges
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine Users can't mount local ISOs anymore (vSphere 6.5)

Hi all,

after updating to vSphere 6.5, virtual machine users can't mount local ISOs or local drives anymore. Everything was fine in 6.0 using the standalone client.

The "Removable Devices" button in VMRC is greyed out.

How can I enable it again?

Thank you in advance

Sascha

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

you have to add the permission for the Datastore --> Browse Datastore.

And that permission must be set at minimum on Datacenter level.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
rzhonnie
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same problem with a customized Role "VM Admin" that the VM Users can only power on, shutdown, reset the VM or configure CD Media to install Guest OS.

@JimKnopf99: We can´t configure the setting Browse Datastore on Datacenter level because all users will see all VMs an can browse all our Datstores. There must be another solution.

0 Kudos
tim_841
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Is the problem that user can not mount "local" (on their PC) ISOs and drives or "local" datastore ISOs?

If you just upgraded to 6.5, you may benefit from uninstalling all VMware applications on the client (Workstation, VMRC, CIP, etc.) and reinstall new versions only. I also have to perform the same ritual with the Windows 10 Feature updates.

I also had a small problem where my computer didn't "trust" the ESXi host's certificate, but that had a whole bunch of error messages.

0 Kudos