VMware Communities
tdotreppe2
Contributor
Contributor

VMware workstation 12.5.4 doesn't show USB anymore in removable devices menu

Hi,

I've been using USB devices on Workstation for a while and everything worked fine until recently.

I recently updated to the latest, 12.5.4 and now the USB devices don't show up in the menu anymore for any of my virtual machines. I tried to reboot the host and guest systems, check and change settings (USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 and vice-versa, check/uncheck the different checkboxes in the USB setting for each VM) as well as plugging the cards/flash drives (that used to work) on the different ports on the system (some are USB3.0, some are USB 2.0). I cannot seem to have the USB devices display in the VM->Removable devices anymore.

Before anybody point out the obvious, I checked, yes they are recognized by my host, Windows, and I can see them plugged in the system tray. Yes, the virtual machines have USB in them and the kernel is recent enough to use USB (Kali 2016.2, Ubuntu 16.04, 16.10, 17.04 alpha/beta, CentOS 7, etc). This issue is present on all my VM (that used to work just fine).

Last I remember using USB device is for sure 12.5.2. I may have used it in 12.5.3 but I'm not 100% certain.

Is there something I missed or is it a bug in the release?

System info: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit (up to date), Core i7 2630QM, 12Gb RAM

0 Kudos
9 Replies
tdotreppe2
Contributor
Contributor

I reinstalled 12.5.2 and I can now see the USB devices in the menu. None of them were present in 12.5.4.

Where should I report the bug?

0 Kudos
ae450
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, repairing the installation fixed it.

0 Kudos
tdotreppe2
Contributor
Contributor

Switching back to 12.5.2 fixed it for me and updating again to 12.5.4 fixed it.

0 Kudos
mattedgie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I think i have the same issue - how do you roll back to a previous version of Workstation Pro?

Thanks

0 Kudos
tdotreppe2
Contributor
Contributor

1. Uninstall the current version. Make sure to keep your settings (license, VM lists).

2. Reboot

3. Install the older version.

I managed to get 12.5.5 working. However, I had to uninstall my current version, reboot. Install 12.5.5, reboot. Notice there is no USB, re-run installer to repair install, reboot. Then networking wasn't there and another 'Repair' then reboot.

0 Kudos
mattedgie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for the quick response.

Sorry not very technical - is there a way to keep all settings and license etc when uninstalling it or will everything be deleted?

Thanks

0 Kudos
tdotreppe2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, there is an option (either to check or leave checked) when you uninstall.

0 Kudos
lancechou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My guess is usbarbitrator somehow got stopped after update.

You can try going to Windows service manager and see if VMWare Usbarbitrator is up

Right click on "This PC" -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services -> VMWare USB Arbitration Service

0 Kudos
malachib
Contributor
Contributor

Starting up that service worked for me

THANK you

0 Kudos