VMware Cloud Community
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Cluster Custom group

I am trying to figure out a way to create a custom group that contains all my clusters that are made up of just the dell hosts but cant figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kpitt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately, there is no metric that identifies the hardware vendor, however if they are identical and have the same build number you can create a group based off System|Build Number under Properties.

An alternative method would be to simply create a custom group that includes all the Clusters you wish to group and select the radio button to keep the group membership up to date. This will automatically update should there be additional hosts added to the Cluster(s).

Another method is, if the Hosts/Clusters follow a specific naming scheme you can create a group to match all Hosts/Clusters whose name contains xxx

Ex:

Host System
     Properties > Configuration|Name > Contains > Dell

See attached.

Hope this helps!

-K

sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Unfortunately, there is no metric that identifies the hardware vendor, however if they are identical and have the same build number you can create a group based off System|Build Number under Properties.

There is and i use it as a membership rule to list all my dell hosts in a custom group and use this to show the power policy for all the dells as we are changing them i use this report to show the progress. It is property/hardware and model

An alternative method would be to simply create a custom group that includes all the Clusters you wish to group and select the radio button to keep the group membership up to date. This will automatically update should there be additional hosts added to the Cluster(s).

I want a group that contains all the clusters that only have dell hosts in them because we are changing the HA config for all dell clusters and the HA config is only on cluster level not hosts. We have approx 100 clusters and are a mix of HP, Dell and UCS

Another method is, if the Hosts/Clusters follow a specific naming scheme you can create a group to match all Hosts/Clusters whose name contains xxx

Ex:

Host System
     Properties > Configuration|Name > Contains > Dell

We use a generic naming convention for our clusters so cant use this.

0 Kudos
Kpitt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ah, you're right. I do not know how I missed that poking through my lab!

I cannot think of a way to do what you're asking, we need some sort of query to state if Cluster and child Hardware|Model.

I was thinking about potentially using the API but after getting halfway through the queries, I realized there is no option to add to a custom group. I have a feeling I might be missing something though, if you're more familiar with it here's the queries I got to essentially find all the property values for a given object:

https://<IP>/suite-api/api/resources

ctrl+f for a dell host, and grab it's identifier (my example is dd7a3dd2-a630-4851-8430-ff9be42d5582)

https://<IP>/suite-api/api/resources/dd7a3dd2-a630-4851-8430-ff9be42d5582/properties

If I look here I am not finding Hardware|Model, only Hardware|vendorModel which might be different. My lab is very small and not the greatest to test on, so you might have better luck?

-K