VMware Communities
shraykhanna
Contributor
Contributor

VM doesn't open

I am trying to run cloudera vm CDH 5.8 on workstation 8 with 8 GB ram and 1 processor with 2 cores. It started once but after that it doesn't boot up. The vmware logo comes when I press run and after that it stops and closes. I am attaching a log file for better understanding of the problem. Is there any fix for this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Two thoughts about this:

• check the settings in Edit -> Preferences -> Memory
  • start VMware Workstation with "Run as Administrator"

André

0 Kudos
shraykhanna
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help André, I did both the things but the boot process starts and suspends itself.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you install any Windows Updates lately? I remember an issue (from some time ago) that was caused by a Windows patch (see Workstation 10 issue with recent Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update - VMware Workstation Zealot - VMware B...​. Maybe it's something similar in this case?

You may also want to check whether you are running the latest build of the VMware Workstation version you are using.

André

0 Kudos
shraykhanna
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help André, I tried to uninstall the update but it still has the memory problem. I have attached my latest log file which states the same problem.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

At the time the issue occurred for the first time, VMware fixed this with version 10.0.4 (see VMware Workstation 10.0.4 Release Notes). You are currently running version 10.0.1, so it may be worth updating to the latest available build for VMware Workstation 10.0

André

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately, the cloudera VM is configured to automatically suppress any questions, warnings or error messages which would normally be produced by VMware Workstation.  I do not understand why they do this.  I suggest changing that configuration back... see my instructions here: Re: cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.3.0-0-vmware is not getting opened in windows 8 64 bit system with Work...

That will get you a more meaningful error message at least... In your case, it's different from the thread I quoted above... Your logfile shows that the error message is "Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings.".  it is most likely a spurious error which results from a compatibility issue between your version of Workstation and your Windows.  You're using Workstation 10.0.1 there; I would recommend updating to at least Workstation 10.0.7 and seeing if that resolves the problem: Download VMware Workstation 10.0

Newer releases of VMware Workstation use a much more reliable method for configuring memory on Windows hosts and should not encounter this error unless you really have insufficient RAM available.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos