VMware Horizon Community
MikleF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Application slow startup

Hi guys,

Anyone also have issues with applications taking significantly longer to startup when AppVolumes is involved.

We are experiencing an issue with Autodesk TrueView 201X which takes a long time to start up.

We tried installing it in the base image but it seems that even then it has an issue when an AppStack is attached.

When I start it up in the base image without AppStacks it takes approx. 10 seconds.

If an appstack is involved it takes 2-3 minutes.

Info:

AppVolumes: 2.12

Horizon: 7.0.3

UEM: 9.1

2 Replies
Gagan201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mike there are about 6 + people and counting who are all having issues with slow start up time. I have an open ticket with VMware going on 3 weeks now

Got all my logs, made a special ou, turned off AV. I even have a fresh out of the box Windows 10 image, still getting 6 + minutes log in time when I add in appvol.

I have been turning off services and now we are running the VMware Logon Monitor

To Check why it's taken so long I have seen my current logs to my tech hoping to hear something back.

There is a bigger problem and I see no solution online at the time; VMware really should address this issue. I am working with a tech and when I have figured out the issue I'm more then happy to post the solution for everyone else in this mess with me.

What I have tested that has not worked

The reg SSL fix set to 0

Doesn't matter if it's 0 or 1 doesn't help with log in times. Not working.

AV on and Off didn't fix thinking a port or firewall issue none that I can see

I'm hoping they are working on 2.13 as the current software is unusable with Windows 10 IMO

XSavior
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but yesterday I was working with VMware support and we made a discovery on why some apps are loading very slowly. This has been tested on AppVolumes 2.14.0

I had this problem with a few apps and this fix below immediately solved the problem. I had M-Print Pro that would take 2.5 mins to load and with this fix it reduced it to 5 seconds.

When creating the AppStack before finishing provisioning the stack go to:

C:\SnapVolumesTemp\MountPoints\****random stuff****

Then edit snapvol.cfg with notepad

In Section: "# Registry" paste the following line (at bottom of section with similar looking entry)

reverse_replicate_registry_key=\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts                           # Fixes Loading Time For Lots of Programs

This problem can occur when this registry location no longer exists in Windows (Possibly removed during optimization such as OSOT or might have been removed in certain versions of Windows 10)

VMware has noted this and has forwarded it to their senior engineers. This is the result of nearly 2 months of work investigating with VMware.

Thank You!