VMware Communities
voidp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware and 7th Gen CPUs

Microsoft seems to be enforcing a policy such that Windows 7 and Windows 8.x can't be updated if they're running on an Intel or AMD 7th generation CPU.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-u...

How will this affect Windows 7/8.x guests in VMware Workstation on a host with a 7th Gen CPU?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If that is the case, you should be able to use a CPUID mask in the vmx configuration file and hide the specific bits which would trigger those denials. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BillReynolds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your biggest concern may be the security updates, but you can install an antivirus, preferably AVG.

0 Kudos
voidp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So the guest OS will be able to precisely identify the CPU and refuse to update the guest OS?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If that is the case, you should be able to use a CPUID mask in the vmx configuration file and hide the specific bits which would trigger those denials. 

0 Kudos
voidp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you're correct.

I've seen articles about the .vmx settings cpuid.1.eax and cpuid.1.edx but wasn't sure if they applied to VMware Workstation.

Naturally I checked continuum's vmx page (sanbarrow.com) but these settings weren't mentioned.

I expect to see more discussion regarding this when enough guest VMs start hitting this restriction.

0 Kudos