VMware Communities
SentiMENTL
Contributor
Contributor

Sound device now no longer working under 8.5.5 Windows 10 VM

Hi,

Upgraded VM Fusion to 8.5.5 yesterday, which is running my Windows 10 VM. Windows Update also updated to Build Version 1607 (14393.953).

Now my sound device is no longer valid in Windows 10, stating no audio output device is installed. It was working before the two updates that occurred above, but I don't know which one caused it.

Reinstalled VMWare tools a couple of times, and run searches online and off the virtual VMWare Tools disc to reload the driver within Windows Device Manager, but it hasn't made any difference. Its not a killer for me, but I don't like things not working as they should.

Any helpful suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Graham

7 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Looks like VMWare has messed up big time in this latest update (both in Workstation Pro and Fusion).

I also lost audio in two Windows 10 Professional x64 guests (one on Windows x64 Home host and the other on macOS Sierra host on Fusion). Lost audio as well on an Ubuntu EFI guest on Fusion (and looked like also lost the ability to set display for any other resolution other than 4:3 aspect ratio).

What I had done to recover the audio on the Windows 10 guests were to update manually the driver of the "Unknown Device" or "Multimedia Audio Controller".

Assuming you have a backup (either from a snapshot or disk backup) or another unaffected VM guest, check to see if you have the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMWare\Drivers\audio folder in the guest. On the other hand, if you have a snapshot or backup, you may also choose to not update the Tools for now.

Assuming, you want to go ahead with the tools update and the audio problem persists, copy this audio driver folder to the updated guest(s) and install manually the audio driver.

0 Kudos
jedib0p
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed this issue by doing the following:

From the menu bar choose Virtual Machine> Reinstall VMware Tools

I then opened the command prompt and followed the procedure shown here: Extracting the drivers from VMware Tools bundled with VMware Workstation (2032184) | VMware KB

note: I wasn't able to cd d:\ so I just added the d:\ in front of the setup.exe command.

On the prompt I chose a location to save the files (C:\Extract)

The audio driver is located at C:\<your extraction folder>\VMware\VMware Tools\VMware\Drivers\audio\Vista

I selected the unknown device from device manager, updated driver manually and selected the driver located at the  above location and everything worked.

This was all done using Fusion 8.5.5. No backup required.

Hope this helps.

todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Worked perfect.  Thank you.

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
0 Kudos
soapyfrog
Contributor
Contributor

That worked for me .

Only difference is I used setup64.exe as I'm using 64-bit Windows 10.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pipp8
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me too.

Thanks

0 Kudos
intramind
Contributor
Contributor

This fixed my problem. Thanks.  But this took me about 30 minutes to troubleshoot.  Can VMWare fix this in the next update? I'm on 8.5.7. Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
mchav5778
Contributor
Contributor

It worked for me. Thank you.

0 Kudos