VMware Communities
isaurodqn
Contributor
Contributor

Weird noises and sounds coming from VMWare Workstation

I have had no problems with VMWare up until now. Recently I noticed that these sounds come out of the program.

VMWare strange noises (VOIP detection maybe)? - YouTube

I don't have a clue what this could be. I hear honking noises, distinct talking, maybe a radio? I have no idea. I don't know much about this. If I could have any help it would be very useful. Thankyou in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Looked at your youtube video.

Are you saying that it only happens when the volume for VMware Workstation is up? Can you make sure on that one?

It would be rather curious if it really only happens with Workstation running (not saying it is impossible just trying to understand)

What would be the most logical in this case is that a combination of a few components, like an audio cable and some components in your speakers or computer are functioning as an oscillator and antenna and therefor picking up radio waves. A coil, a condensator and a long wire are already enough for that and as it is connected to an amplifier, any little radio wave it picks up on can be amplified and heard.

I made that kind of thing when I was a kid, several times.

But that would be just one explanation, not sure if that is what you are bumping into.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
isaurodqn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes It is only in the VMware Workstation app's audio is up. I'm 100% certain it was coming off from that application. I doubt it is a radio because several noises repeated in the exact same fashion as previous, even sometimes several times in a row. It's a tape ejecting, a horn, a phone call, a woman talking, and two exerpts from a man in garbled speech. They all repeat themselves.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Ok, weird. I asked as in your video obs64 was not set to zero, so could also have been the source of these sounds.

If it is repeating all the time then yes it is not likely to be radio waves.

Sorry, for the moment I do not have additional ideas on how VMware Workstation could be the source of these kind of sounds especially as it already appears to happen when you've got no virtual machines running. At that time there is not even a .vmx process yet it shows up in your mixer, very strange.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your video suggests that you have at least one virtual machine running at the time the weird sounds are occurring.  Have you examined the software running inside the virtual machine(s)?  Any sound produced by applications running inside the virtual machine will be attributed to "VMware Workstation VMX" on the host.  The audio clips you are hearing are most definitely not part of any VMware Workstation feature and to the best of my knowledge are not included in VMware Workstation/Player at all.

If you have no virtual machines running at the time the sounds occur, it would suggest that your mixer application is confused... "VMware Workstation VMX" is the virtualization engine which is strictly only running when a virtual machine is running.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos