VMware Communities
JuanGuapo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Audio distortion/crackle in Fusion Pro v8.5.3 + Windows 10 (14393.693)

Hello.

Running Fusion Pro and Windows 10 (specs below), and noticing in various gaming scenarios a lot of audio distortion over built-in speakers. I even manage to find it in Speakers Properties running a simple audio test with the VMware-recommended 24bit/44.1Khz audio setting. I have also tried using the older SB driver instead, no dice.

Any suggestions?

Diablo III

Star Trek Online

Portal 2

mid-2015 15" MBP / 16GB RAM / 2GB VRAM / 1TB SSD

VM: Windows 10 / 2 CPU / 4 GB RAM / 2GB VRAM

(Note: I have tried 4 CPUs and 8GB RAM, did not help.)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JuanGuapo,

Audio distortion usually occurs while CPU spikes in virtual machine. The development team is working on this issue now, in the meanwhile, would you please analyse all the running processes in your VM and reduce the CPU spikes as much as possible.

Thanks & Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
Naf3tS
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. This issue makes gaming virtually impossible as it is the game itself generating the CPU load.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You may want to check if the VMX configuration file has an entry

sound.virtualdev = "hdaudio"

Some users with Linux hosts have resolved their crackling audio on VMs with Windows by removing that entry from the vmx configuration.

I have both Fusion and Workstation Pro on Windows. None of my VMs have that entry except one; oddly enough is on a macOS Sierra guest VM. No crackling audio on the macOS guest.

0 Kudos