VMware Communities
rickross
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion and Windows 10 stuck on spinning dots at startup if network device connected

I've had an extremely difficult time getting Windows 10 updated to build 1607 on my 2016 MacBook Pro with Fusion 8.5.3 and 8.5.4. It kept getting stuck at 32% during the update.

Finally, after removing VMWare Tools and disconnecting as many devices from the VM as I could, I was able to get the update from build 1511 installed. After installation, I was able to reconnect all the devices and reinstall the latest VMWare Tools.

The problem I'm having now is that, if I leave the network device connected in the VM, then Windows 10 will get stuck endlessly on the black startup screen with the white spinning dots. If I disconnect the network device and restart the VM, it will open into Windows 10 almost immediately, and I can reconnect the network device after it has opened.

I've tried removing the network device and then re-adding it, but no joy. I don't know where to look for any logs or debugging info that may shed light on why Windows gets stuck at the spinning dots if the network device is connected.

How can I get this corrected so I can leave the network device connected while stopping and starting the VM?

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi rickross ,

Welcome to Fusion forum.Smiley Happy

How did you mount the network drive, via networking or shared folder? If it's mounted via networking, which protocol were you using? NFS, smb or other protocol? Thanks.

0 Kudos
rickross
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nancy, thanks for your reply.

It is not a network drive, but rather a network device (eg, an wired or wireless ethernet port.)

If I allow the network device to be connected at boot, the Windows 10 VM will hang at the black startup screen with white spinning dots. If I have the network device disconnected, then it will boot normally.

Rick

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Was this a clean VM or converted from a machine?  If the latter, try the former.

0 Kudos