VMware Communities
Gumwars
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation Player 12.5 breaks after kernel update

This is more of a general discussion point and hopefully a single place where VMWare users can locate information concerning this issue (including resolutions).  I'm a newer Fedora user (F25) and enjoy the product VMWare has created for this community.  It's superior to Qemu and Virtual Box in terms of fidelity and performance.  The only problem is that with every kernel upgrade, VMWare needs to recompile itself in order to continue working.  Right now the latest we have is a patch for 4.9 with 4.13 being the latest kernel used on F25.  I'm curious to see what solutions you all have come up with to solve this problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

VMware just released an update the other day.

Have you tried with version 12.5.3 ?

Fixes for the 4.9 kernel are on the list of resolved issue in the readme:

VMware Workstation 12 Pro Version 12.5.3 Release Notes

See: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/playerpro-evaluation.html (note that the evaluation version is just the full version without a license)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

VMware just released an update the other day.

Have you tried with version 12.5.3 ?

Fixes for the 4.9 kernel are on the list of resolved issue in the readme:

VMware Workstation 12 Pro Version 12.5.3 Release Notes

See: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/playerpro-evaluation.html (note that the evaluation version is just the full version without a license)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Gumwars
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.  Wow, I should pay closer attention to the updates!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's OK, no worries, we are here to help.

--

Wil

0 Kudos