VMware Cloud Community
virtualpanda
Contributor
Contributor

Deploying OVF Template fails with mixed ESXi version in cluster

I am attempting to deploy an OVA to my cluster with mixed ESXi versions, and encountering errors on the "Select Resource" page depending on which host I choose. I'm hoping someone can provide feedback about the behavior I'm seeing.

OVA: VMware Integrated OpenStack 2.5.0, also tried 3.1.0

vCenter: Tried with both 6.5 GA  (Version 6.5.0 Build 4602587) and 6.5 a (Version 6.5.0 Build 4944578), and I have verified the behavior occurs both with the Appliance as well as Windows vCenter

ESXi host versions in cluster:

• 6.5.0 4564106 (6.5 GA)
  • 6.5.0 4887370 (6.5 a)
  • 6.0.0 3620759 (6.0 U2)

I am able to successfully deploy the OVA if I select the cluster as the resource in Step #3.

I am also able to successfully deploy the OVA if I select the ESXi host with 6.0 U2.

However, if I select either of the 6.5 hosts, I encounter an error, after the "Validating..." modal goes away.

The given OVF descriptor is invalid: The operation is not allowed in the current state of the host.;

Untitled.png

When this happens there is no error present in the Events or Tasks. Although it is interesting to note that if I cancel the Deploy OVF template wizard, there is an "Import OVF package" task that is stuck at 0% in tasks, until I cancel it. This happens whether or not I receive the error.

The error above also appears in the Virgo log:

vsphere.client.provisioning.spec.DeployOnResourcePoolValidationSpec {

commonContext = java.lang.Object[]:[

com.vmware.vsphere.client.provisioning.ovf.impl.ResourcePoolDeploySession {

host = ManagedObjectReference: type = HostSystem, value = host-27, serverGuid = c5f54088-c0f1-47b6-b2cc-ba6032954eae

folder = null

source = file://VMware-OpenStack-2.5.0.0-3955000_OVF10.ova

provisioningTarget = ManagedObjectReference: type = ResourcePool, value = resgroup-8, serverGuid = c5f54088-c0f1-47b6-b2cc-ba6032954eae

sourceType = PUSH_SOURCE

pushContentType = OVF_SOURCE

pushOvfOption = MANIFEST_CERTIFICATE

sessionId = aeae6954-f03d-4d06-ba0a-5b156dc9f4a9:c5f54088-c0f1-47b6-b2cc-ba6032954eae

clientToken = 27b55e40-e94e-4820-8acc-c9b47f31af8c

},

com.vmware.vsphere.client.provisioning.workflow.Workflow {

id = deployOvfOnResourcePool

contextObject = ManagedObjectReference: type = ClusterComputeResource, value = domain-c7, serverGuid = c5f54088-c0f1-47b6-b2cc-ba6032954eae

},

recursion@home,

]

name = VMware-OpenStack-2.5.0.0-3955000_OVF10

template = file://VMware-OpenStack-2.5.0.0-3955000_OVF10.ova

provisioningTarget = ManagedObjectReference: type = ResourcePool, value = resgroup-8, serverGuid = c5f54088-c0f1-47b6-b2cc-ba6032954eae

host = ManagedObjectReference: type = HostSystem, value = host-27, serverGuid = c5f54088-c0f1-47b6-b2cc-ba6032954eae

folder = null

sourceType = PUSH_SOURCE

} com.vmware.vim.binding.vmodl.MethodFault: The given OVF descriptor is invalid: The operation is not allowed in the current state of the host.;

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.provisioning.impl.ProvisioningResourcePoolMutationProvider.validate(ProvisioningResourcePoolMutationProvider.java:317)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at com.vmware.vise.data.provider.DelegatingServiceBase.invokeProviderInternal(DelegatingServiceBase.java:400)

at com.vmware.vise.data.provider.DelegatingServiceBase.delegate(DelegatingServiceBase.java:115)

at com.vmware.vise.data.mutation.impl.MutationServiceImpl.validate(MutationServiceImpl.java:303)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor723.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:319)

at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:56)

at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:60)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)

at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:57)

at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)

at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy220.validate(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor722.invoke(Unknown Source)

at flex.messaging.services.remoting.adapters.JavaAdapter.invoke(JavaAdapter.java:418)

at com.vmware.vise.messaging.remoting.JavaAdapterEx.invoke(JavaAdapterEx.java:72)

at flex.messaging.services.RemotingService.serviceMessage(RemotingService.java:183)

at flex.messaging.MessageBroker.routeMessageToService(MessageBroker.java:1400)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.AbstractEndpoint.serviceMessage(AbstractEndpoint.java:1011)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.AbstractEndpoint$$FastClassByCGLIB$$1a3ef066.invoke(<generated>)

at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:149)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$CglibMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(Cglib2AopProxy.java:689)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)

at org.springframework.flex.core.MessageInterceptionAdvice.invoke(MessageInterceptionAdvice.java:66)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.adapter.ThrowsAdviceInterceptor.invoke(ThrowsAdviceInterceptor.java:124)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$FixedChainStaticTargetInterceptor.intercept(Cglib2AopProxy.java:573)

at com.vmware.vise.messaging.endpoints.AMFEndpoint$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$25b86fa6.serviceMessage(<generated>)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.MessageBrokerFilter.invoke(MessageBrokerFilter.java:103)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.LegacyFilter.invoke(LegacyFilter.java:158)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.SessionFilter.invoke(SessionFilter.java:44)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.BatchProcessFilter.invoke(BatchProcessFilter.java:67)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.SerializationFilter.invoke(SerializationFilter.java:166)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.BaseHTTPEndpoint.service(BaseHTTPEndpoint.java:291)

at com.vmware.vise.messaging.endpoints.AMFEndpoint$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$25b86fa6.service(<generated>)

at org.springframework.flex.servlet.MessageBrokerHandlerAdapter.handle(MessageBrokerHandlerAdapter.java:109)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:923)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:852)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:882)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:789)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:755)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:303)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208)

at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:241)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208)

at com.vmware.vise.security.SessionManagementFilter.doFilterInternal(SessionManagementFilter.java:82)

at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:241)

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.logging.MDCLogFilter.doFilterInternal(MDCLogFilter.java:41)

at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:220)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:122)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:505)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:170)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:103)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteIpValve.invoke(RemoteIpValve.java:683)

at org.eclipse.virgo.web.tomcat.support.ApplicationNameTrackingValve.invoke(ApplicationNameTrackingValve.java:33)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:950)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:116)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:423)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1079)

at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:620)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:318)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

What is more interesting is that I am able to deploy to different hosts in the cluster by removing certain combinations of other hosts.

As mentioned above, when all 3 versions of hosts are present in the host, I can only deploy to the 6.0U2 host selected as the resource.

When I remove the 6.0U2 host from inventory, I can only deploy to the 6.5 GA host selected as the resource.

And finally, when I remove all other versions from the cluster, I can deploy to the 6.5a host selected as the resource.

Can anyone confirm this behavior, or provide some details why I am able to select some hosts as the resource but not others? It appears that I can only select the lowest version of ESXi in the cluster as the resource. If you can point me to somewhere in the documentation that may explain this behavior I would appreciate it!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Sv2k9
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same error trying to deploy vmWare Replication Appliance 6.5, all hosts in cluster are ESXi version 6.5 build 4887370, vSphere Server Appliance version 6.5 build 4944578. For each host but one I've got the error: The operation is not allowed in the current state of the host. For one host of the same ESXi version I didn't see this error but OVF template deploy stuck at 0%, then timed out.

Virgo log:

[2017-03-10T14:43:04.775Z] [INFO ] http-bio-9090-exec-15        70025416 100537 200470 c.v.v.c.p.impl.ProvisioningResourcePoolMutationProvider           Initiate deployment of template on resource pool. template = http://192.168.130.97/vmware/vSphere_Replication_OVF10.ovf

[2017-03-10T14:43:07.508Z] [ERROR] http-bio-9090-exec-15        70025416 100537 200470 c.v.v.c.p.impl.ProvisioningResourcePoolMutationProvider           Failed instantiating template with spec: com.vmware.vsphere.client.provisioning.spec.DeployOnResourcePoolValidationSpec {

commonContext = java.lang.Object[]:[

com.vmware.vsphere.client.provisioning.workflow.Workflow {

id = deployOvfOnResourcePool

contextObject = ManagedObjectReference: type = HostSystem, value = host-1302, serverGuid = 7c9b3a82-f634-4768-9a71-8e97e180edb2

},

]

name = vSphere Replication

template = http://192.168.130.97/vmware/vSphere_Replication_OVF10.ovf

provisioningTarget = ManagedObjectReference: type = ResourcePool, value = resgroup-8, serverGuid = 7c9b3a82-f634-4768-9a71-8e97e180edb2

host = ManagedObjectReference: type = HostSystem, value = host-1281, serverGuid = 7c9b3a82-f634-4768-9a71-8e97e180edb2

folder = null

sourceType = PULL_SOURCE

pushContentType = null

pushOvfOption = null

} com.vmware.vim.binding.vmodl.MethodFault: The given OVF descriptor is invalid: The operation is not allowed in the current state of the host.;

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.provisioning.impl.ProvisioningResourcePoolMutationProvider.validate(ProvisioningResourcePoolMutationProvider.java:317)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4441.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vise.data.provider.DelegatingServiceBase.invokeProviderInternal(DelegatingServiceBase.java:400)

at com.vmware.vise.data.provider.DelegatingServiceBase.delegate(DelegatingServiceBase.java:115)

at com.vmware.vise.data.mutation.impl.MutationServiceImpl.validate(MutationServiceImpl.java:303)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1575.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:319)

at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:56)

at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:60)

at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:57)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy176.validate(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1574.invoke(Unknown Source)

at flex.messaging.services.remoting.adapters.JavaAdapter.invoke(JavaAdapter.java:418)

at com.vmware.vise.messaging.remoting.JavaAdapterEx.invoke(JavaAdapterEx.java:72)

at flex.messaging.services.RemotingService.serviceMessage(RemotingService.java:183)

at flex.messaging.MessageBroker.routeMessageToService(MessageBroker.java:1400)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.AbstractEndpoint.serviceMessage(AbstractEndpoint.java:1011)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.AbstractEndpoint$$FastClassByCGLIB$$1a3ef066.invoke(<generated>)

at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:149)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$CglibMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(Cglib2AopProxy.java:689)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)

at org.springframework.flex.core.MessageInterceptionAdvice.invoke(MessageInterceptionAdvice.java:66)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.adapter.ThrowsAdviceInterceptor.invoke(ThrowsAdviceInterceptor.java:124)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$FixedChainStaticTargetInterceptor.intercept(Cglib2AopProxy.java:573)

at com.vmware.vise.messaging.endpoints.AMFEndpoint$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$5caf8eee.serviceMessage(<generated>)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.MessageBrokerFilter.invoke(MessageBrokerFilter.java:103)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.LegacyFilter.invoke(LegacyFilter.java:158)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.SessionFilter.invoke(SessionFilter.java:44)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.BatchProcessFilter.invoke(BatchProcessFilter.java:67)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.amf.SerializationFilter.invoke(SerializationFilter.java:166)

at flex.messaging.endpoints.BaseHTTPEndpoint.service(BaseHTTPEndpoint.java:291)

at com.vmware.vise.messaging.endpoints.AMFEndpoint$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$5caf8eee.service(<generated>)

at org.springframework.flex.servlet.MessageBrokerHandlerAdapter.handle(MessageBrokerHandlerAdapter.java:109)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:923)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:852)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:882)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:789)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:755)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:303)

at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)

at com.vmware.vise.security.SessionManagementFilter.doFilterInternal(SessionManagementFilter.java:82)

at com.vmware.vsphere.client.logging.MDCLogFilter.doFilterInternal(MDCLogFilter.java:41)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:220)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:122)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:505)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:170)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:103)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteIpValve.invoke(RemoteIpValve.java:683)

at org.eclipse.virgo.web.tomcat.support.ApplicationNameTrackingValve.invoke(ApplicationNameTrackingValve.java:33)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:950)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:116)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:423)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1079)

at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:620)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:318)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I was able to deploy the same OVF template on test vCenter Appliance v6.0, but failed on production vCenter Appliance v6.5.

0 Kudos
MG71
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! Same problem!

The cluster consists of VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106

If I install on the host ...

name = vSphere_Replication_OVF10

template = file://vSphere_Replication_OVF10.ovf

provisioningTarget = ManagedObjectReference: type = ResourcePool, value = resgroup-8, serverGuid = f5be21d0-d5d3-41cc-b730-23ba113e5d90

host = ManagedObjectReference: type = HostSystem, value = host-82, serverGuid = f5be21d0-d5d3-41cc-b730-23ba113e5d90

folder = ManagedObjectReference: type = Folder, value = group-v108, serverGuid = f5be21d0-d5d3-41cc-b730-23ba113e5d90

sourceType = PUSH_SOURCE

If I install on a cluster ...

name = vSphere_Replication_OVF10

template = file://vSphere_Replication_OVF10.ovf

provisioningTarget = ManagedObjectReference: type = ResourcePool, value = resgroup-8, serverGuid = f5be21d0-d5d3-41cc-b730-23ba113e5d90

host = null

folder = null

sourceType = PUSH_SOURCE

} com.vmware.vim.binding.vmodl.MethodFault: The given OVF descriptor is invalid: Host did not have any virtual network defined.;

It looks like something was not done for version 6.5.0)))

I ask for hints - what should I try to install?

0 Kudos
Sv2k9
Contributor
Contributor

@MG71 if you add empty standard switch with a single network to any host in cluster then you won't see the error "Host did not have any virtual network defined". However installation stuck at 0% after the deployment window is closed.

0 Kudos
MG71
Contributor
Contributor

Did, and it happens. This is when you select to install as a resource CLUSTER.

Correctly - the error will go away, but the installation will not start, and this does not solve the problem!

And I can not install ONLY - vSphere_Replication and vSphere_Replication_SRM from the VMWare-vSphere_Replication-6.5.0-4634552-sles11-upgrade package

(VSphere_Replication_AddOn packages, VSphere_Replication_Cloud_Service, VSphere_Replication_Server_SRM - this stage of installation is normal)!

The question is how to install vSphere_Replication from OVF?!

0 Kudos
mattklein623
Contributor
Contributor

We are having this exact same issue/errors. Creating a standard switch does not resolve it on the host. Has anyone found a resolution yet?

0 Kudos
mattklein623
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: We were (my illustrious supervisor..) able to get it to work by putting a standard switch on EVERY host and connected to an uplink opposed to just the one host the OVF was being deployed too.

tcommander
Contributor
Contributor

I added a standard switch to each host in the cluster as suggested but did not put any uplinks on it.  Once I did this I was able to deploy the OVF.

0 Kudos
rrichard17
Contributor
Contributor

I was pulling my hair out on this and was able to resolve.

The errors are different depending on the browser you use.

I used IE and got an error related to the "host".

Using the recommendations of adding a standard switch to ALL the hosts, did not work.

When deploying the OVF, select the cluster and NOT the host and the issue will not repeat.

winadmin_ohim
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error and looking the OVF file I have found that it expect a network port with name "Management Network".

SOLUTION:

I have created a portgroup with this name (in a standard switch) and then I have deployed the OVF without errors