VMware Cloud Community
v8bait
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migration from vCenter 5.5 U1a (Win 2008 Server) to vCenter 6.0 U3 (Win 2012 Server)

What is the best way to execute this? I currently have a simple setup vCenter Server 5.5 U1a with SSO on a Windows 2008 Server with MS 2008 SQL Database. I want to upgrade to vCenter 6.0 U3 on a Windows 2012 Server OS with MS 2012 SQL. Also note that all my ESXi Hosts are on 5.5 Build 2143827. Do I need to upgrade my existing vCenter Server to 6.x before I migrate to a Windows 2012 Server or can I just do the upgrade in one sweep?

I looked at the VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes but I just want to double check that I can jump from 5.5 U1a to 6.0 U3.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeNRI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Honestly i would consider moving to the virtual appliance.

I recently went through this and had many failed attempts at upgrading.

Support wasn't able to resolve it and got to the point where the only option was to set up a new vCenter instance from scratch.

Since it was non destructive, I gave the 6.0 U2 m  - migration method a try and that was very smooth and worked flawlessly.

It seems like in the long term VMware is moving in the direction of the virtual appliance is preferred over windows so moving to that now made sense for me given all the time that was put in to failed attempts in upgrading the windows version.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MikeNRI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Honestly i would consider moving to the virtual appliance.

I recently went through this and had many failed attempts at upgrading.

Support wasn't able to resolve it and got to the point where the only option was to set up a new vCenter instance from scratch.

Since it was non destructive, I gave the 6.0 U2 m  - migration method a try and that was very smooth and worked flawlessly.

It seems like in the long term VMware is moving in the direction of the virtual appliance is preferred over windows so moving to that now made sense for me given all the time that was put in to failed attempts in upgrading the windows version.

v8bait
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been hearing a lot about this virtual appliance so I am going to need to research a little bit. I guess the nice thing is that there would be no requirement obviously for a Windows machine which in return means no SQL Server and no VUM unless I build a separate box for VUM. We currently don't even use VUM so the appliance might make a lot more sense.

Thanks for your suggestion!

0 Kudos
fomer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I went through the same with many failures. Your best bet is to go through a clean install of windows 2012 and install vcenter 6. Please  keep in mind  that vcenter 6 comes with two options of installation VMware Vcenter 6.0 embedded deployment. All the components will be installed on single box.This model comes with its own embedded vpostgres database and it does not support MS SQL database. the other options is vCenter with  External Platform Services Controller. This deployment model support MS SQL database but you need additional H/W to achieve this installation. All it depends on your business HA and disaster recovery requirements.

FHasse

v8bait
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you know if you need to install the External Platform Services if I use a vCenter Virtual appliance? Trying to find that info online and haven't stumbled upon it yet.

0 Kudos
MikeNRI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is an option to have an embedded external platform services on the vCenter virtual appliance.

If everything was installed on one box on the windows vCenter server (SSO, etc.)

When you migrate it will be to the appliance that has embedded platform services.

If you need to do linked mode, it's recommended by VMware to repoint at an external platform services appliance after the migration.

v8bait
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! I think I am going to take the VSCA with Embedded PSC route. We are also going to be rolling out SRM in between our remote offices for DR and all appears to be compatible. Thanks for everyones help!

0 Kudos