VMware Cloud Community
Robg303
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Guru's.. Need help moving from Hyper-V to ESXi

All..

I've searching for quite some time but am unable to find the "best" solution to move from Hyper-V to ESXi and was hoping someone could provide the steps. Current Setup:

1) SINGLE Hyper-V Server (2016), 12 core, 64Gb Ram, 250GB SSD boot drive, 1TB for Virtual Boxes (Most are running Windows Server 2016, a few LINUX). Various Servers are a Domain Controller, SQL Server, Syslog, and various

I can handle downtime, but would prefer not to if possible. Is there a way to move from Hyper-V to ESXi without having to rebuild of my current Servers? Here's what my research has led me to

1) Install VMWare Workstation on my Desktop

2) Use VMware Converter and do inplace migration from Hyper-V Guests to VmWare Workstation

3) Install ESXi (HyperVisor) on existing Hyper-V Box

4) Migrate from VmWare Workstation to newly built ESXi Server

Does this sound correct? I'm sure I'm missing something in here

5 Replies
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

If you have an ESXi host you can directly convert the hyper-v to VMware , if you want to use the same server the you can proceed same steps you have mentioned .

OR you can use StarWind V2V Converter which converts the vhdx to vmdk

1) Install VMWare Workstation on my Desktop

2) Use VMware Converter and do inplace migration from Hyper-V Guests to VmWare Workstation

3) Install ESXi (HyperVisor) on existing Hyper-V Box

4) Migrate from VmWare Workstation to newly built ESXi Server

Few  points to be noted  , Most of the conversions - while powering on the servers on VMware default CD drive will e there with D drive  .

And IP You have assign manually , Any RDM configuration (NPIV on hyperv) there make sure that remove the RDM and do conversion and later configure that  .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
Robg303
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response Raj...

I may use StarWind to avoid all the moving parts. Within StarWind do you know if i NEED to select Windows Repair Mode or will it convert correctly without? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to avoid having to rebuild all these Servers as I'm unfortunately in a situation where it's "all or nothing" or so it seems Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

HI ,

Normally  you don't need to do repair option if everything goes smoothly .

But if you have any other  PC which supports virtualization , install ESXI host and try to check all machines one by one which you are converted before deleting  them from hyper-V

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
NetxRunner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

StarWind V2V Converter did the job for me many times. What I find quite awesome is that it patches internal VMs hardware and enables rescue mode on boot if needed. Which means converted VMs always boot successfully. They have announced some new features like direct connection to VMware datastores so waiting for a new version already 🙂

aravindaa
Contributor
Contributor

You can migrate Hyper-V VMs (Windows or Linux) without any issues using the StarWin V2V migration tool. This tool is officially free.
Once you migrate the server using the tool, you just need to delete the VM nic and create it again. I am not aware of how can I fix this but this is the best tool for Linux servers migration.

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-v2v-converter

0 Kudos