I get an update error when upgrading vCenter Virtual Appliance 6.0U3 to the latest 6.5A.
The installer tells me "Internal error occurs during Export of vSphere ESX Agent Manager."
In the downloaded Export_com.vmware.eam_$DATE.log i find the following:
INFO service_manager Service vmware-eam reported status started. Expected status started INFO service_manager Service vmware-eam: STARTED INFO eam Successful start of EAM service. INFO eam Going to access: http://localhost:80/eam/charset.jsp WARNING eam vmware-eam service is not fully started, waiting till get up and running. Sleeping for5seconds. Error: HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable (Failed to connect to endpoint: [N7Vmacore4Http16LocalServiceSpecE:0x7fd7aa519970] _serverNamespace = /eam _isRedirect = false _port = 15005) WARNING eam vmware-eam service is not fully started, waiting till get up and running. Sleeping for5seconds. Error: HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
the last line repeats several dozen times, followed by
ERROR __main__ Upgrade Phase 'eam:Export' failed. Exception: expected string or buffer
at the near end of the logfile.
I already tried the steps from KB2147898 - which is for Windows vCenter btw. - to no avail.
There are no log entries regarding heap issues or a custom Port.
I already restarted the original VCVA several times, restarted vmware-eam via the VCVA shell and immediately tried to migrate afterwars without any success.
Steps taken before the upgrade:
- migrated vShield 22.214.171.124 to NSX 6.2.5 and then to 6.3
- uninstalled VUM so I don't have to migrate it, plan was to start using the integrated VUM after the migration.
- removed vcIntegrity Extension
- timesyncd hosts to internal NTP, configured VCVA to sync with host, times are fine on all hosts and the appliance
Desperate steps taken after the error occured:
- set a new and easy password for SSO and appliance-root
- using only IP adresses instead of hostnames in the migration assistant
- tried the upgrade on my 6.0U2 homelab, no vShield/NSX there, uninstalled VUM, same error
- tried editing "bypassVumEnabled" per KB2053782, but the value keeps saying "unset" after committing the change, i suppose that's because there's no more vum
Is it because of the VUM uninstall/extension removal?
What else can i do?
Setting up a fresh VCVA65A is out of question, since we use VDP 6.1.3 and a new vCenter would most definately not allow for VDP appending to existing backups, thus creating new restore points and great demands in storage capacity.
Any hints are greatly appreciated!