VMware Communities
Lapsap201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation Player vs Virtualbox in business usage (in pure financial stand point)

Disclaimer: no flame-war intended

In my company, our need to run VM starts to grow.  So we're thinking what software to use.  I'm very used to VMware's software and I have bought several versions of Workstation.  So I naturally am thinking about Workstation Player but my co-worker pointed out that it is not free for business use and suggested Virtualbox, saying that it's free even in business use.

I'm not good at reading and deciphering those "end user license" stuffs.  Could anybody confirm me that in pure financial stand point Virtualbox can be freely used in business whereas Workstation Player cannot?  I mean, if that's the case, why would people buy Workstation Player supposing that both software are more or less the same?

Or is there some hidden clause that actually prevent the free use of Virtualbox in business?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Why do some people use Windows as Linux is free? Why use apple if the computers are so expensive?

There's always reasons...

Your co-worker is correct. VMware Player is not free to use for business use, in that case you do need to buy a license.

I don't know for sure about VirtualBox, but it is my understanding that it is free to use in a business. You'll have to ask Oracle to make sure Smiley Wink

Use what works best for your use case.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Lapsap201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

(Off-topic) Why do some people use Windows as Linux is free? Why use apple if the computers are so expensive?

Windows and Linux are essentially quite different, esp for lambda end-users' view point.

But VMware Workstation (Player) and VirtualBox are not that different in GUI -- just a few components (CPU, memory, disk, sound card, etc) which are found in both software but different presented differently.  And they are not for lambda end-users; they are for advanced users.

So the learning curve to switch between Windows and Linux is deeper than to switch between Workstation and VirtualBox.

What "works" for us is a function of money, so the answer is easy :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

One valid reason would be, if, since you said your VM need/usage is growing, that you wish to move up to a full virtual infrastructure.  If you already have your VMs created/working with VMware Workstation/Player product line, moving to vSphere/ESXi is practically seamless.  And your users can continue to use their VMware products even after you would migrate some or all of the VMs to ESXi.

0 Kudos