VMware Horizon Community
tschuegy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Big writable volumes - .Net assemblies - AV 2.12 Win10 1607

Hi there

We have very big writable volumes after a few days. When i look into a writable volume that is 1.1GB big i found an amount of 600MB .Net assemblies:

AppVolumes_WritableVolumeAssembly.PNG

I thought it should not be there, because i have configured the following two lines in snapvol.cfg for writable volumes (over the zip funktionality):

AppVolumes_WritableVolumeSnapvolCFG.PNG

Does this only work if  i have no appstacks attached or for what is that virtualize= option in snapvol.cfg file? In the snapvol.cfg file for appstacks, we have leaved at default. No customized entries.

What we would like to have in the writable volume is only the user profile (C:\Users\XYZ\), nothing else. What do we have to configure to only have the user profile in the writable volume?

Please help me, we have enaugh SSD storage for 800 writable volumes that grows so much. All other user settings are redirected like desktop, my documents and the other common user folders.

Thanks

Tschuegy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Profile only template used to be there in the older version but went away in (I believe) version 2.9.

We still have the templates but the thing is that it isn't supported anymore (and we never used it in production as well).

I don't think that adding that exclusion will do the trick to be honest. When looking at the old template I can see the exact same line inthere but it could be that it doesn't know that key anymore.

I would suggest asking VM support for help on this one.

Regarding the assembly. My guess is that you have an appstack that uses the Microsoft .Net framework ngen. It could be an idea to disabe the service. It won't fix your problem in the long run though.

But just for my understanding. Why would you like to use profile only writable if a user is not allowed to install applications himself? You could go for UEM for user profile management. My guess is that this will work better in your case but just my 2 cents though.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tschuegy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I meen we haven't enough SSD storage for 800 users Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Profile only template used to be there in the older version but went away in (I believe) version 2.9.

We still have the templates but the thing is that it isn't supported anymore (and we never used it in production as well).

I don't think that adding that exclusion will do the trick to be honest. When looking at the old template I can see the exact same line inthere but it could be that it doesn't know that key anymore.

I would suggest asking VM support for help on this one.

Regarding the assembly. My guess is that you have an appstack that uses the Microsoft .Net framework ngen. It could be an idea to disabe the service. It won't fix your problem in the long run though.

But just for my understanding. Why would you like to use profile only writable if a user is not allowed to install applications himself? You could go for UEM for user profile management. My guess is that this will work better in your case but just my 2 cents though.

0 Kudos