VMware Cloud Community
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Need some clarification on NIC speed requirement to vMotion

Hello All,

I was trying to vMotion one of our VMs and received an error that basically said the vSwitch needs to be a 1000GBs. I am not understanding why my Network adapter says it's has a gigabit connection but the section that shows "actual speed" is only 100mb. Any thoughts on this?

NIc.PNG

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This could be related either the physical switch port configuration - as mentioned by jhague‌ - or also a bad network cable.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jhague
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is the physical switch port also set to auto negotiate like the network adapter? I.e it's not forcing the speed down to 100/Full Duplex?

John Hague http://linkedin.com/in/john-hague | twitter @jhague10 VCIX-DCV | VCP-DCV 3/4/5/6 | VCP6-NV | VCP7-CMA | VCAP7-CMA Design
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi jhague

i am not sure, I will ask our network engineer to check when I get into the office today and follow up on the thread. So you are saying the

it could be that the switch is set to throttle the traffic down?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This could be related either the physical switch port configuration - as mentioned by jhague‌ - or also a bad network cable.

André

0 Kudos
jhague
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi - yes from the screenshot we can see the NIC is 1Gbps capable and the speed from the server side is set to 'auto negotiate' so I'm wondering if the speed has been fixed on the port. It used to be common practice to hard set the speed as auto negotiation was erratic but with 1Gbps+ cards it's generally recommended to let them negotiate the speed automatically.

John Hague http://linkedin.com/in/john-hague | twitter @jhague10 VCIX-DCV | VCP-DCV 3/4/5/6 | VCP6-NV | VCP7-CMA | VCAP7-CMA Design
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It ended up being a network cable. So I wonder if that bad cable degraded the speed down to 100Mbps or if it is the behavior of the vSwitch to default to 100Mbps when there is an issue?

1Gbps_vMotion.PNG

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's actually a physical issue. If the network cable doesn't meet the requirements (e.g. Cat5), auto-negotiation will try to reduce the speed to allow a connection, unless the cable is bad at all.

André

0 Kudos
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you! That information was very helpful and I will make note of it in the future.

0 Kudos