VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vROps policy

I need to associate a supermetric with a policy in order to use it.  Is there any possible negative impact in creating a new, separate policy for this purpose?  Is it best to add it to the default policy?  Does it matter?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would create a seperate policy for this. This makes it easy to export the supermetrics just be exporting the policy, the supermetric will be exported in the same policy. This makes you supermetric reusable in a easy way.

Never add or edit default objects in vROPS because you lose your configuration if you have to reset out-of-te-box context.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would create a seperate policy for this. This makes it easy to export the supermetrics just be exporting the policy, the supermetric will be exported in the same policy. This makes you supermetric reusable in a easy way.

Never add or edit default objects in vROPS because you lose your configuration if you have to reset out-of-te-box context.

sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

A good rule of thumb is not to use the default policy and create new company specific policy's. This guards against any default policy changes that an upgrade can cause. It also makes it easier to track all your policies especially if you have multiple ones.

Kpitt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you create a new policy and inherit from the default policy everything will act the same except for the addition of the super metric to the child policy. If you want to set the super metric up on the parent policy as well, it will propagate down to all it's children.

-K

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks all - much appreciated

0 Kudos