VMware Cloud Community
ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question on Workstation Network Editor vs ESXi & vCenter

Hi,

I am interested in the virtual world and I am following some video lessons for vSphere 6.5. In the video lessons they are adding networks adapters to the ESXi from Virtual Network Editor (Edit -> Virtual Network Editor...) from inside Workstation.

In my case, I have installed the ESXi in a real PC and vCenter Server Appliance. I do not have Workstation of course. So how can I a new network adapter (nat) in my ESXi host?

Is it through ESXi portal Networking ->VMkernel NICs-> Add VMKernel NIC -> Port group?

Sorry if this is a silly question... But I am still learning!

6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The network adapters added through the Virtual Network Editor actually present additional "hardware" to the virtual ESXi host. In a real world scenario with physical hardware, this equals adding additional physical network adapters. NAT is also a feature of VMware Workstation, which is not available in ESXi.

André

0 Kudos
Rahim_from_PSPL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it is very easy,

No need to configure any Nating

Just add new Physical NIC (supported) to your PC (in PCI slot). It will be visible in networking part of configuration.

Then you can use it in vSwithc or Portgroup as per requirement.

Rahim Shaikh Blog: http://www.rahimshaikh.com Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5IBuZFT0Q_MHv0sLsTffHA
0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Better if you installed vmware work station then use (Virtual Network Editor). It will give mostly all feature ad hyper-visor.

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

Thank you for your answer! I found two NIC cards from a very old GEN5 HP Server that I had. ESXi found them it was like plug and play, but because I have mixed some things in my mind... could I chat with you I mean you could find me in fb just change FRANK to -> FRAGKISKOS and my surname is as it is.

I would be grateful, and not only!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, but I'm not on fb. Anyway, you can ask any questions here in the forums, and I'm sure you'll get your questions answered.

André

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Your welcome !

Any time you can contact me .

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos