VMware Edu & Cert Community
theocastelo
Contributor
Contributor

Beginning in Vmware World...

Hey guys,

Good Night to all,

I did the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1] course in December 2013, for several personal reasons, I did not continue my studies to take the VCP-DCV 5, I never worked with Vmware and practically forgot all the content Of course, all my knowledge is based on the course I mentioned and the course booklet, I know that it is insufficient to pass the exam and I know I must study a lot for it.

I ask the most experienced, where should I start?

Is there any good material for me to familiarize myself from scratch with the tools?

I know I can create a lab at home or access the labs on hands, but which way to go?

Thanks in advance for your help and tips.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My first question would be: What are you hoping to achieve?

Sounds like you want to work in VMware technologies, and you see the VCP as a way of helping to get you there?

As we've moved on to vSphere 6 now, with 6.5 being the latest version, I would suggest looking at VCP6-DCV rather than the VCP5-DCV (which is becoming more obsolete and less relevant)

Bear in mind that many employers would see you as a junior in terms of VMware - given your lack of experience, regardless of whether you achieve a VCP or not.

Think about how best you can get some experience - I don't know what you do for a job now, but if you can get the opportunity to begin with vSphere administration that would be a great start.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TheITHollow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If it were me I'd start with the VCP6-DCV to get started. It should be a good base level of knowledge that will help you get your feet under you.

http://www.theithollow.com
0 Kudos