VMware Communities
RinoSI
Contributor
Contributor

DNS not rsolving my Linux guests in NAT network Workstation pro 12.5.2

Hi All

Please help me to get an answer to my peculiar problem on DNS. I had a NAT network 192.168.25.0 with gateway 192.168.25.2. I have 4 guest VMs all are in RHEL enterprise 7.2. Though all of these guests can ping each other and ssh each other  but when I try to resolve hostnames to IP its not working. first I tried with adding IP in to the hosts file. it works. however when I try to install Hadoop (Cloudera) it show error saying that there is no route to master. apparently it is not using the hosts file in the machines, it is sending DNS queries . when I try to nslookup from one of the guest to the master name I found that the default DNS server for NAT network, the gateway is forwarding the request to public DNS servers. In order to resolve this I setup a DNS server in one of the guests in this network. however other guests are still sending the DNS requests to this gateway, though I configured the guests to use first the new DNS server. Is there a way to resolve this.

I edited the virtual network settings and choose burst option in DNS settings and added the internal DNS server. however I am not getting any answer nor able to know if the gateway is forwarding the query to the internal servers. Appreciate a resolution for this, My host is in Windows 7 64 bit

thanks in advance

Rino

0 Kudos
0 Replies