VMware Communities
crsackett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install failure Win 7 to iMac

Trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium from MS CD to new iMac 27", Sierra, VM Fusion 7.1.3, using Easy Install. Am getting error code 0x80070017 part way through the installation. Most grateful for advice on what to do to rectify this.

Chris Sackett 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

From Google searching, that error code usually means the installation image is corrupt, as some files are unable to be extracted from the installation image on the media.

Verify the checksum of your downloaded installation.  Or if it is a physical DVD, you may want to test it on a different machine to verify it is truly bad, and return it to where you purchased it from to obtain a replacement disc.

0 Kudos
crsackett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks RDPetruska. The DVD worked on my old iMac but installation fails on my new iMac. Both Macs are using Sierra.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Hmm, that is odd.

If you already used it to create a VM on your old iMac, can't you just copy the VM you made before over to your new one?

0 Kudos
crsackett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried copying the whole bundle 3 ways-- 1. by Ethernet cable; 2. by copying to My Passport external HD; 3. by copying to a thumb drive. None worked. VMWare would not recognise the old computer by Ethernet, either using a 4-digit code or the computer address. With My Passport and the thumb, when I view the copied folder it is grayed out so I cannot select it. I thought by copying the whole machine that I would get all the applications and data in one go. I have only resorted to trying to install from the DVD after these methods failed.

This is a task I would undertake only every few years, so I'm struggling a bit. Is there a best method with a step-by-step guide somewhere?

0 Kudos
crsackett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have spoken again to my iMac supplier. After referring the matter to their chief technician it turns out that I have been trying to do the impossible. The latest Macs, the late-2015 model, do not allow installation of Windows 7. The only version that can be installed is Windows 10.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Oh, you are trying to install Win7 on a BootCamp partition?  I thought you were just trying to create/install a standard virtual machine - in which case it's just a handful of files on your host computer. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 7 isn't supported on Sierra in any case.

0 Kudos
HH1822
Contributor
Contributor

use mac parallels

0 Kudos
crsackett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know what a BootCamp partition is. Since being told that new iMacs do not support Windows 7, I have upgraded (free) to Windows 10. I also needed to upgrade to VMWare Fusion 8 to achieve this. Everything working fine. Thanks for help.

0 Kudos
crsackett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure about that advice. I used Fusion 7 on Sierra on my old iMac with no problems.

0 Kudos