VMware Cloud Community
Zonk2008
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from free ESXi 6.5 to vSphere Essentials Kit (academic) - Web Clients Question and more

Hi,

I assume I can upgrade the currenty installed free ESXi 6.5 Hypervisor to vSphere Essentials Kit 6.5 by just changing the license key. At least I've read this on those forums lately.

1) Does this apply for the academic license, too?

2) The free hypervisor comes with the new pre-installed Web Client (I already updated to v1.16 available from the labs here ESXi Embedded Host Client)

3) There is although the HTML5 Web Client which does not work with the free hypervisor for known reasons, downloadable here vSphere HTML5 Web Client

Will this HTML5 client work with vSphere Essentials, too? I've read the appropriate manual and it seems the procedure to install this HTML5 client is very complicated, at least from my view and limited knowledge.

I guess this HTML5 client is not already hidden somewhere inside the ESXi installation and upgrading will not automatically unlock it, right?

4) OTH, I've seen many videos or screenshots, showing another Web front-end, maybe it was for the old v6.0 vSphere versions. So is there a difference between the Labs HTML5 client and a pre-installed one?

Just asking many questions since I'm starting to get familiar with those VMWare products and licenses things. Very confusing are those available clients here and there.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

1.) I never used academic licenses, but I'm pretty sure they will work the same way as others, i.e. you can simply replace the license key.

2.) seems to be a statement rather than a question

3.) The HTML client mentioned, is not for ESXi, but for vCenter Server. It's already integrated in version 6.5

4.) Prior to version 6.5, vCenter Server came with a Flash based web client. Version 6.5 contains the HTML5 client (which is not complete yet) in addition to the flash client.

André

0 Kudos