VMware Communities
cosmini
Contributor
Contributor

post ESXi 6.5 install -- accessing guests: Unable to connect to the MKS: Login (username/password) incorrect

hi folks,

I'm trying to play w/ EXSI 6.5 on top of the latest 12.5.2 Workstation and when trying to log into guests within the EXSI, via the vSphere (Desktop) client, I get "Unable to connect to the MKS:  Login (username/password) incorrect"

Interestingly, accessing via the Web UI works fine, without a hitch.

All are installed locally, on a laptop.

I have a DNS entry in the hosts file that points the IP to the name of ESXi host (as a guest within VMWare Workstation 12.5)  -- I can ping by name or IP however when I onboard any guests within ESXI and try to connect to the console via the vSphere desktop client, I get the error above.

Reviewing settings, it appears that the guest has different IP/subnet/gateway than that of my host, that could possibly be the issue, however setting up the guest w/ DHCP, to obtain IP's from the host did not help either, still same error  -- however, again, access is fine through the Web UI.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cosmin

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just a SWAG, but I found this via Google:

From itechlounge.net

This is happening because the communication between your client computer and your vSphere host isn’t working properly.

The main cause for this would be that the ports required for the console are blocked in some way (either blocked by your LAN or workstation but more likely on the host side).

Make sure that the host firewall is not restricting the connection :

Configuration tab > Security profile > Firewall > Properties…

The ports required for the console are (tcp) :

vSphere Console ports

Shell

0 Kudos
cosmini
Contributor
Contributor

I had already disabled the firewall and still no luck so I'm assuming it must be something else...

0 Kudos
battybishop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've come across so over aggressive anti-virus programs that try to stop communication over certain ports, long shot but have you tried turning off anti-virus ?

0 Kudos
cosmini
Contributor
Contributor

hi Bishop,  thanks for the thoughts --

I have turned off both Norton Antivirus, firewall, as well as Windows firewall.

also, it appears that the guest and host are sharing the same subnet mask and gateway and DNS servers, so there should not be any communication problem.

How can I make bridge, vs nat vs host-only changes in ESXi guests, as in VMWorkstation 12.5?  [for an ESXi newbie 🙂   ]

thanks much,

Cosmin

0 Kudos