VMware Communities
martinwinlow
Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded iMac HDD to SSD - Boot Camp Now Missing - Help!

Hi,

I just migrated my old iMac (2009) HDD to a 1TB SSD.  All went swimingly (with a good 5-6-fold speed improvement).

Went to start Boot Camp today and get "Unable to open file "/Users..../bootcamp 6.vmdk".  I gather my cloning of the HDD did not include the boot camp partition thingy - I used Superduper to do the clone.

I have had Time Machine working all along.  I still have the old, fully functional HDD.

Would  someone be kind enough to walk me through fixing this please?  As I understand it, I need to connect the old HDD drive tom my iMac using the SATA/USB cable I used to clone it in the first place.  Then use Boot Camp Tools to create a new partition on the SSD (will 50GB do?), then use WinClone to create the Boot Camp partition image based on the old HDD Boot Camp data (on the SSD? don't suppose it matters whilst both drives are still connected?), then use WinClone to 'restore' the Boot Camp partition image in the new SSD partition?  Then disconnect the old HDD and all should be good?

Regards, Martin Winlow.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies