VMware Communities
zsudas
Contributor
Contributor

Kernel headers for version 3.10.0-514.el7.x8664 were not found (CentOS7 64 bit)

I am attempting to install VMWare Player but can't discover what I am missing.  I have gotten through the gcc install, make install, etc but hit the brick wall when I get to the VMWare Kernel module updater.  I googled the problem and did see some references to Debian with a workaround of "Use another supported OS".  Well, CentOS7 is definitely supported but I don't see what the problem is.

I did install   kernel-devel, gcc, kernel-3.10.0-514.el7.src.rpm, linux-headers-3.10.0-514.el7.x86_64 (after a dpkg-query -s linux-headers-$(uname -r).  To open a support case with VMWare I guess I have to solve this on my own because I have not gotten far enough to register for the 30 day email complimentary support.

Oddly enough I did have this running on a Debian box but switched to CentOS due to some video  driver issues

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jolfa1
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue. I even got the latest tool 10.1.5 and still run into this issue.

VMWare, anybody?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
vmwarerz
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same error message. I get the message "Kernel headers for version 3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64 were not found" when trying to launch Vmware Workstation Player 14. I am running CentOS 7 64-bit. I have searched and searched for a solution and found nothing. It says that CentOS 6+ are supported as host operating systems.

0 Kudos
ggalt
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue with CentOS 7.4 and VMware WorkStation 14. The solution for me was:

- Close the vmware application (if open)

- Install the kernel-devel package with:

yum install -y kernel-devel

- Launch VMware Workstation

It will now find the files it needs and will prompt you to build the kernel module. I assume that after your next kernel update it will want to build another module. As long as you also update the kernel-devel package along with the new kernel I again assume that it will just prompt you to let it build a new module for the new kernel.

0 Kudos