VMware Communities
data101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P2V into Workstation 12 with Converter of windows 7. After first boot I just get a black screen

Hi, I've been trying to fix this issue for months and have not had any luck. I've also tried to find some solution online, but I can't find anybody that has had this issue before.

I've used VMware converter to convert a Physical laptop (Windows 7) to VM for Workstation.

On the first boot everything goes well, but then I get a message that a new device has been installed and that I need to reboot to finish configuration.

After reboot, it get's stuck on a black screen just before the login screen.

Doesn't matter if I install VM tools or not. The result is the same.

I've managed to boot into safe mode, I've also managed for the computer to boot with basic vga drivers, but can't get it to work on normal.

Has this happened to anybody before? Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Try the Converter option "configure machine" again.

0 Kudos
data101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Done that. Still nothing.

I have reconverted the physical machine to VM. But nothing.

I get passed the Windows logo and then either it fails to show me the login screen (just stuck on the logo with windows VGA driver), but if I type the password it will make the login sound...

Or it will give me a black screen after the windows 7 logo when I install VMware Tools (same behaviour as with VGA).

I can access the machine on Safe mode. but it won't let me do the things I need to do on it.

Does anybody know how to setup windows to run with the VGA_SAFE driver? I tried the "base VGA" option, but that won't let me change the screen options to go higher than 600x400.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Have you tried unchecking "Accelerate 3D Graphics" in the Display settings of the VM? Also maybe play around with the amount of video memory (maybe go with 128MB)?

Are you already on 12.5.5 build 5234757? This release fixed some memory related issues with the SVGA driver although you haven't gone that far yet as presumably you haven't been able to install VMware Tools yet.

0 Kudos
data101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Going to try the memory.

I have tried the 3D option and I'm currently on 12.5.5 not sure about the build but there was no updates available yesterday. I'll see how far I get. Thanks

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the posting!

Would you please try with turn off disable 3D acceleration and change the graphic memory size to 1 GB? Also how about change the monitors setting: Choose specify monitor setting to 1024x768 resolution to see if it helps.

BTW, would you please provide more details regarding the issue:

1. What's the host you installed Workstation 12.

2. What's the GPU? Do you installed the latest driver of GPU? What's the version.

3. Would you please provide the vmware.log and ui log (you may get info from Help -> About VMware Workstation)

0 Kudos
data101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi TracyHuang​, thanks for your help.

So I've tried everything you have suggested and nothing...

Answering your questions:

1. What's the host you installed Workstation 12.

I've installed it on 2 machines. Lenovo X250 with an SSD drive and a Lenovo B70-80 also with an SSD drive

2. What's the GPU? Do you installed the latest driver of GPU? What's the version.

Both machines have the latest video drivers. The X250 has the following GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500 with 128MB dedicated and 8GB shared

The B70-80 has a GeForce 920M, VRAM 2GB

3. Would you please provide the vmware.log and ui log (you may get info from Help -> About VMware Workstation)

Attached logs for the x250. I don't have access right now to the other Laptop.

thanks

0 Kudos
data101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, new behaviour. Still having the same issue, but when I delete the screen adapter on safemode, I manage to login to normal mode after reboot. But then it installs some type of driver and it all fails again after reboot.

I've even managed to install vmware tools and svga driver, but no luck.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Are you able to "Power On To Firmware" and see the virtual BIOS screen? On the Fusion 8.5.6/macOS 10.12.4 side, there were black screens even with just "Power On To Firmware" and the black screen allegedly affected Intel graphics for MacBook Pro notebooks with Broadwell/Skylake. I have a MacBook Pro with Crystal Lake processor and Intel Iris Pro with Fusion 8.5.6 and I didn't experience the black screen.

We can't jump to any conclusion that a similar scenario is happening in your case although it seems you also have Broadwell U processors.

For your Lenovo with Nvidia 920M, try to ensure that the Nvidia graphics processor is the one running with VMware (with the Right-Click on the Workstation shortcut - Run with graphics processor) and see whether that makes any difference.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos