VMware Cloud Community
mamoth100
Contributor
Contributor

Storage vMotion vCenter Appliance 6.0

I was wondering if it's possible to Storage vMotion the vCenter 6.0 Appliance?

Basically, we need to move it to a new cluster. So, I've put the datastore from the new cluster in the old cluster. I would like to 1) Storage vMotion it to that datastore and 2) vMotion it (now that it's on a datastore both clusters can see) to the new cluster.

Just wondering if this is possible or should I look at alternate methods?

Load on vCenter is generally around 40% CPU, 45% Memory Consumed. It is about 300GB in size. External PSC that will also be moving with it.

Thank you!

6 Replies
dmeyner22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I have migrated my vCenter several times.  It might drop connection for a moment when it finalizes the changes.

0 Kudos
mamoth100
Contributor
Contributor

I just want to validate your migrations were of the "Storage" variety. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Yes you can safely move the vCenter server to different datastore without any impact or issue. Just have a look to this below instructions by VMware

Moving the vCenter Server to a different datastore (1004625) | VMware KB

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
mamoth100
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

I saw the KB. But the associated vCenter versions don't list 6.0. Yes, paranoid.

Smiley Happy

drheim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is a really bad answer because the KB being referenced is older than 6.0 and it also talks about a different way besides storage vMotion.  Not sure if storage vMotion would work on vCenter itself,.  I would guess it would, but it would be nice to know.

0 Kudos
usersb
Contributor
Contributor

Are both clusters managed by the vCenter?
If yes, you can move it in Step 1 to the new datastore.

One step you need to make sure is, that the EVC level at least match, else you wont be able to move it in on state.
If matching you can do step 2, a simple vMotion from Cluster "old" to "new" and everything should work Smiley Happy

0 Kudos