VMware Cloud Community
cmagowan
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently download a trial of Log Insight version 4. When i try to deploy it onto my VMware ESXi 6.5 server, it deploys fine, but when it starts, all i get is a blank screen, with the bottom half blue, and the top half black or dark gray. no writing on it.

I noticed in the video that i should get prompted during deployment to tell it what size of environment i want to commission, but that option is not there when i am deploying the downloaded image. It does ask me for a hoostname, which i notice it ignore when it turns on, as it calls itself Moltar or something.

Anyone any idea what is going on?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

I have seen this its just that the process takes longer than it used to and if you were like me and not patient you end with the messed up VM.

So solution is - delete the VM and create a new one; deployment sizes should be configurable before you actually deploy it or power it off and then change later.

However do not have the console up or atleast do not touch it (no keystrokes) when its deploying; and wait for it to be completely done deploying which is about 20-30 mins in my case and check the deployment it will be at the right screen telling you the vRLI deployment is up and all services are running correctly. This wait time is only at first deployment . Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
cmagowan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that has not helped. I am using a VMware ESXi 6.5 box, as we want to try it out as a proof of concept before rolling out to our vSphere infrastructure.

I suspect the problem might be that ESXi does not deploy the file correctly. here is my screen shot from the deployment:-

2017-02-08_181230.png

You can see that I do not have any option to configure the size of the environment etc.

The VM boots, but all I get is this:-

2017-02-08_182012.png

I tried waiting for 30 minutes likes you said, but unfortunately nothing changes, and the is no web server running on the ip address of the server.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Can you send me an email id so I can schedule a call ; I'd like to take a look if possible?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

LI VM can be installed on ESXi 6.5 managed by VC 6.5.

LI depends on the OVF Environment feature provided by VC for network config; bare ESXi doesn't have that.

There is an unsupported way to do this -

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2014/06/an-alternate-way-to-inject-ovf-properties-when-deploying-virt...

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2016/04/slick-way-of-deploying-ovfova-directly-to-esxi-vcenter-server...

NOTE: This is unsupported and not recommended for production use.

Thanks.

0 Kudos