7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 7:49 AM by romatlo32

How to snapshot (backup) Mirage volumes?

romatlo32 Enthusiast

Hello folks,

I am reading this article regarding best practices for upgrading Mirage and it mentions backing up or snapshot the Mirage volumes using image block based backup method.

Does anyone have an example of how to do that and what tools to use?

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2031711

Thanks,

romatlo32

• 1. Re: How to snapshot (backup) Mirage volumes?
          romatlo32 Enthusiast

Darn, no response.  I will close this thread.

• 2. Re: How to snapshot (backup) Mirage volumes?
            BillyBonesLU Enthusiast

Sorry I just discovered this Forum, about the backup question this is how you have to handle it (I use veeam with post-backup scripts):

Make sure that both the Microsoft SQL database and the SMB volumes are backed up at the same time. Basically, this means stopping Mirage services, performing a backup of the database using SQL Manager to get a snapshot of the storage volumes, and stopping MongoDB from backing up files. In case of failure, you have to stop Mirage (if it has not already done that by itself) and restore the last database backup and revert to the latest snapshot on the storage side. Keep in mind you must follow this sequence: first, stop all mirage services, and then the MongoDB services.

In order:

1. Block on volumes
            2. Stop Mirage services on Mirage servers
            3. Stop Mirage services on Mirage Management servers
            4. Stop MongoDB services on Mirage Management servers
            5. Stop SQL Server Services
            6. Do a backup of the DB
            7. Do a Backup of the volume
            8. Restart services in the following order: 5>4>3>2>1

I suggest to do it once a month but some of my customers do it once per week.

Regards,

Benoît.

• 3. Re: How to snapshot (backup) Mirage volumes?
              romatlo32 Enthusiast

Thank you for responding.  I am wanting some more detail on how you backup the storage volumes?

We have one on the VM itself and another that is on a separate file server share.

What is the method for backing up the storage volumes correctly?

• 4. Re: How to snapshot (backup) Mirage volumes?
                BillyBonesLU Enthusiast

Ok then I'll call your VM Mirage standalone server, and the other one File server

1. Block on volumes on Mirage standalone server (from the mirage console > volume)
                2. Stop Mirage services on Mirage servers on Mirage standalone server (from services mmc)
                3. Stop Mirage services on Mirage Management servers on Mirage standalone server (from services mmc)
                4. Stop MongoDB services on Mirage Management servers on Mirage standalone server (from services mmc)
                5. Stop SQL Server Services on Mirage standalone server (from services mmc)
                6. Do a backup of the DB With your backup application (Veeam for example, launch the job manually) or manually with the SQL management tools
                7. Do a Backup of the volume On the file Server with your backup application (Veeam for example, launch the job manually)
                8. Restart services in the following order: 5>4>3>2>1

Is it clear now ?

Cheers

• 5. Re: How to snapshot (backup) Mirage volumes?
                  romatlo32 Enthusiast

Thanks this really helps. 

I guess I was hung up on the storage volume backup because I was reading this VMware article that recommends a block level backup of the storage volumes.

Best practices for upgrading VMware Mirage (2031711) | VMware KB

We were considering just using Windows server backup utility but did not know if that was good enough compared to the KB article.

• 6. Re: How to snapshot (backup) Mirage volumes?
                    BillyBonesLU Enthusiast

You should consider Veeam, If both are VM in case of a restore you can always restore the VMDK itself. The product is not really expensive for what it does, I assume you work on a SSB.

If your file server is physical I don't really have a product in mind to handle it. I think Veeam can also backup physical machine if you install a client on it.

• 7. Re: How to snapshot (backup) Mirage volumes?
                      romatlo32 Enthusiast

Thank you so much for the responses!!!