VMware Edu & Cert Community
TheSwitcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Failed VCP6-DCV

I took the exam today and scored a 256.  The exam was much tougher than I thought it would be.  I wish that the exam score would show me percentages of where I scored high and low like the Cisco exams do.  I read the OCG a few times and learned what I could on our production environment.  I have yet to take the class because of budget restraints and will not be able to until July or later.  Probably will try again in a month.  I was at the point where I needed to sit in on the exam to see where I was at because I felt I studied as much as I could without really gauging myself.  I stated on another post that I have about a years worth of experience but in reality about 3 months as a vSphere administrator.  IAny suggestions on study material?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheSwitcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update:  I passed the 2V0-621 today!  Now I just have to sit in on the required course. Never reading any material on VCP, I feel that Mastering vSphere had real world scenario. I read through OCG twice and Mastering once. I can honestly say that they complemented each other one they each helped me understand what I was not grasping from the other book. I recommend them both. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
TheSwitcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I purchased Mastering VMware vSphere 6 and over half way through it.  I have rescheduled my second attempt for March 10th...now that I have sat in on the test I think I should be better prepared overall. 

0 Kudos
ScottDriver42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you're looking for a book, I'd suggest getting the official VCP guide. I found Mastering to be very redundant with the previous versions, and it doesn't cover a lot of the new functionality specific to v6.

Blog: https://virtualvt.wordpress.com/ | Twitter: VTsnowboarder42
Leomhann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Something I always recommend to clients...take advantage of the Hand On Labs.  You do not have to follow the lab guide explicitly and can just poke around and explore areas that you might be weak in and not have to worry about making any mistakes.  Personally I like the Challenge Labs, but I do not think they have one for vSphere 6.5 yet.  If you don't have the hardware to run your own lab at home, this is the next best thing IMO.

Good Luck.

TheSwitcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update:  I passed the 2V0-621 today!  Now I just have to sit in on the required course. Never reading any material on VCP, I feel that Mastering vSphere had real world scenario. I read through OCG twice and Mastering once. I can honestly say that they complemented each other one they each helped me understand what I was not grasping from the other book. I recommend them both. 

genkinyc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Congrats on passing.

Forgive the ignorance, what is the OCG ?

I am aware of the following books for study, can you recommend one or the other?

Official VCP guide

Mastering...

Thanks

vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Congrats on passing. Are you going to pursue your VCAP now?

TheSwitcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OGC acronym for Official Certification Guide. I would buy both honestly. However if only getting one get the VCP official certification guide.

TheSwitcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am a father of three going, working full time, and going to school to get a degree. I got my CCNA and now VCP while attending class. I was accepted into the Cisco Cyber Ops Scholarship. I'll will be done with my bachelors in December.  My cohort starts in June of next year for Cyber Ops. I told myself I would go for any more certs until then. It's been a challenge prioritizing everything so I will probably continue to read but certs will be on the back burner I think.

TheSwitcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was poking around and I cannot seem to find any books on VCAP6?  Do you know of any study material?

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You'll find plenty of community resources if you search online for "vcap6-dcv design study guide" or "vcap6-dcv deploy study guide".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog