VMware Communities
MrRic
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro / Player Pro : Windows 10 : Size and Position : Interaction Problem

What I'm using:

• ​Workstation Pro v12.5.2 / Player Pro v12.5.2
  • Windows 10 Pro (Host), Windows 7 Ult (Guest), Windows XP SP3 (Guest)
  • Dell Latitude E6540, i7-4800 @ 2.70GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, 64-bit OS

What I've done / Observations:

• In Windows 7 (Host), when you opened Workstation or Player, it always opened in the same place.  In Windows 10, every new instance "cascades".  The result is VM's don't open to the place they were before.
  • Within the VMs I've learned how to Batch File command line control the size of the VM.  The result is that all my VM's open to the same resolution (1680x945) everytime.
  • On the Host, I can, with mouse, grab the edge of any VM and resize it, the guest resolution follows along and remains at the dropped size.
  • On the Host, I can, with mouse, grab the VM title bar and move it anywhere on the screen and it stays.

What is not working correctly:

• I've started using a program called Sizer.  The program resizes and moves other program "windows".  It uses the "WM_NCHITTEST" messages of the Windows OS.  It works on most programs and most system windows.  It does not work on Workstation or Player, as they seem to not be handling these messages correctly. Could you please correct this anomaly for v12.x?  If I can do it with a mouse, it should be do-able by Sizer.

Why:

• I usually run 2 to 5 VM's at a time.  I have a powerful laptop with 1920x1080 resolution because I program in the office, in the field, at home, in hotels, etc.  In the Office, I also have an external monitor (3440x1400 resolution).  For months, I have been opening mainly two VMs at 1680x1300 resolution.  One VM I carefully drag to the upper left corner.  The other VM I carefully drag to the upper right corner.  (Down to the exact pixel placement, as they overlap by 1 pixel in the middle this way.)  Other programs I use (like Notepad++), I use Sizer to send to the bottom left, center, and right corners in two clicks with far less effort.  I do this EVERY weekday in the office.
  • I'm putting this here, because VMware's web site makes it incredibly difficult to send feedback or function requests.  I've recently learned the power of forums (set up properly) via a game I currently play (there is whole "catagory" of threads called "Creative Corner" where you can make and discuss game changes).  Hopefully my title draws the correct people in VMware to see this.

Thanks,

MrRic

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MrRic
Contributor
Contributor

Never mind.

I found that if I run the Sizer program as "Administrator", then it works just fine.  --  Thus, is the solution.

Windows 10 really has permission problems.  Some things you must "Run as Administrator" to get to work, other that is a detriment.

Detriment example:  Command Prompt.  If you run as Administrator, then the "net use" command fails to function.  If you run it normally, the "net use" will list all mapped network drives.  It's backwards.

0 Kudos