VMware Communities
CSEinc
Contributor
Contributor

Processors and Cores

If I have a laptop with a Intel Core i7-4810MQ processor and 32GB of ram running Windows 10.  What should I select for the number of processors and number of cores for my VM machine running Windows 7/64?

6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Normally, sticking with the defaults is the best advice.

That would also be the case for this. If afterwards you want to change you always can, just shut down the VM and change.

Note that "just adding more CPU" because you want a faster VM can have the opposite effect as you might end up starving the host from the required resources.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

it's best practice to assign resources as needed, i.e. don't overcommit only because you have a powerful host. Overcommitting might result in unnecessary overhead.

Check the guest's requirements, start low, and increase resources if needed.

André

CSEinc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

While I understand the concepts of using the defaults and not over committing resources, I don't have any practical experience in selecting the appropriate number of processors and cores.  Based on the processor(s) I have in my host, what would be the default number of processors and cores to select?  I moved this VM machine from an older computer so I don't know if the processors and cores are the defaults for that computer or for my new one.  I suspect I should use one processor and 4 cores.  What would be your suggestion?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Just keep it frugal, a good recommendation depends on what you are going to use it for.

But I would suggest just 2 cores. Quite frankly I run my desktop windows VMs all with just 1 core.

FWIW, there's not much difference in assigning 2 CPU's and 1 core or 1 CPU and 2 cores. In both cases you are assigning two virtual CPU's to the guest.

The place where it does make a difference is software licensing.

Some software licenses are per CPU, but not limited per core and in that case it can be beneficial to assign a higher core count.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
CSEinc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for your assistance.  This is my first "and only" post so I am not sure how to end it.  I have settled on 1 processor and 2 cores for now.  It seems to be working fine.

Thanks again,

Bill

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Letting us know how it went is a great way to end the discussion, feedback is always appreciated.

--

Wil

0 Kudos