VMware Cloud Community
DynaPM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uploads to vCenter Content Libraries fail after 4GB transferred

Using vSphere 6.5 I attempted to upload several files to content libraries and found that files <4GB work OK (e.g. RHEL 7.3 install ISO that is 3.53GB), but files that are >4GB (e.g. Windows Server 2012 R2 install ISO that is 4.22GB or Windows Server 2016 install that is 4.95GB) start to transfer but fail after transferring 4GB with a "General System Error" - see attached screenshot. I figured out how much was transferred by the % shown on the transfer progress bar, since the partially transferred file is automatically deleted by vCenter after the failure.

This is reproducible across 2 different vCenter 6.5 servers and across multiple ISO & OVF files.  Files are coming from local disk on the Windows Server 2012 R2-based vCenter server via Browse and the destination is its local datastore.

The error message implies certificate issues, but I believe that certificates are correctly installed. And if it were certificate issues, why would the RHEL ISO (<4GB) upload work OK.

I have been pulling my hair out for several days over this. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you using Internet Explorer for the uploads? IE has a 4GB limit for uploads (see File Upload and Download Limits).

Please see whether you can successfully upload large files using another browser.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you using Internet Explorer for the uploads? IE has a 4GB limit for uploads (see File Upload and Download Limits).

Please see whether you can successfully upload large files using another browser.

André

0 Kudos
DynaPM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks And.

That worked.  I used the current version of FireFox with the current Java plugin & now everything works fine.  It would have been nice if the VMware documentation had mentioned that. 🙂

Content Library operations do seem a little flaky though - long delays & the progress bar doesn't update during the uploads, but suddenly does

Phil

0 Kudos
Greg_4141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Amazing that even two years later this is still occurring.  I experienced the same problem attempting to upload a large (> 4GB) iso file to our VMware 6.7u2 content library using Microsoft Edge browser.  I ended up having to use Google Chrome in order to get it to upload successfully.  Thanks for the post.

0 Kudos