Contributor
Contributor

Replication Appliance Timekeeping - no access to external NTP server

Hello VMWare Community!

I am deploying my first VMWare setup which consists of the following:

- Two ESXi hosts running on Dell Servers

- One VCenter Server Appliance (this manages both hosts) with embedded PSC

- One Replication Appliance

The hosts will be deployed to the same physical location and are currently clustered together within my Vcenter Server Appliance.  The intent is to have one host as Primary running my customers VM's with VMWare Replication replicating these VM's to the secondary Host incase of future VM failure.

The issue I have is that this setup will be isolated with no access to the internet and therefore no access to NTP servers for the critical time keeping function.

Currently both ESXi have their local time defined manually via the VCenter Server appliance.  The VM's along with the Server appliance are setup through VM Tools to use the host as the timekeeper but when I try to do the same to the Replication appliance through VCenter server it complains as follows:

"Solution VR Management manages the selected virtual machine. You should not modify the virtual machine directly. Use the management console of the solution to make changes."

I assume this is because Vcenter server appliance wants me to manage the Replication Appliance through the replication appliance VAMI.  However within the VAMI there is no option to point the Replication Appliance to the ESXi host.  Should there be? Is this even possible?

Additionally, is there a way to have the Backup ESXi use the Primary ESXi as its timekeeper?  That way they will not drift over time so that in the event if the Primary Goes down the secondary will have the same time at that instance.

thank you!

0 Kudos
0 Replies