VMware Cloud Community
MarkSGLSTGE
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing vCenter Converter Standalone

Hi I downloaded vCenter converter and when I run the executable file i get "error reading setup initialization file"  All three versions that are available for download get the same error.  What is the best way to install this product?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you verify the download's checksum, to ensure there wasn't an issue with the download?

You may also check whether you have sufficient permissions to install the application. Depending on the permissions (e.g. the UAC settings), you may need to start the installation with "Run as Administrator".

André

0 Kudos
MarkSGLSTGE
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded it several times to see if that may a be an issue, and I have also tried to install as administrator and am still having the same error.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please don't mind me asking this again. Did you verify the checksum?

I've seen issue with downloads in the past, where a download simply didn't work properly due to whatever reasons.

André

0 Kudos
MarkSGLSTGE
Contributor
Contributor

No I did not verify the checksum.  How do I do that?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There are several utilities which are able to calculate a file's checksum. I usually use the command line tool "md5.exe" on Windows. see e.g. http://www.vmware.com/download/md5.html

André

0 Kudos
MarkSGLSTGE
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help.  I found that the download had failed several times.  My last attempt worked and was able to install the program.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos